Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 32 and I have ocd that I take medicine for. Over the

Customer Question

Hello. I am 32 and I have ocd that I take medicine for. Over the last few years I have had my focused fear on self checking my body for lumps and bumps. My focus for the last 6 months has been my breasts. I did see a breast clinic a year ago for exams
and ultrasounds because my therapy (ERP) called to face my fear and get a response. Then, my breasts were clear. I need to ask an oncologist about my breasts and chance of breast cancer. 32 with no history from Mother or Aunts No cancer really in my family
(heart disease) I check my breast 5 times a day. I worry I'm missing something. Can you please offer some insight on to why this isn't needed or when I should be worried about breast cancer?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

any other medical issues?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

your risk at your age is low. Very low

In fact, the american cancer society recommends against routine self exams

I think you are fine.
Just do your yearly checkup

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I shouldn't do monthly exams? Why?
I check myself many times a day. I worry I'm missing something.
If I had an ultrasound a year ago, that is only sufficient for a year?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

It hasn't been shown to improve outcomes.

In fact, it worsens outcomes

Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

you should not be getting regular mammograms or ultrasounds unless there is a mass that arises

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. My problem is that I keep checking and checking looking for a mass.
I want to not even be thinking about breast cancer under age 40. But I hear about one person that has had it and I worry.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

It is part of your OCD. You don't need to worry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you. ***** go back to the clinic at age 35?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

No at age 40 minimum if you have no symptoms

Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

please don't forget a positive rating. If you have more question, just reply

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

I notice that you have relisted the question.

What further information are you seeking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you read my original question?
Looking for help with my chances of breast cancer at age 32 with no history and reliability of an ultrasound scan a year aho

I did read your original question, and the other expert correctly answered that question, which is why I ask what further information you are seeking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your answer is exactly the same?
Can you offer me some input?

His answer is correct in answer to your question. I can offer tons of additional input, as there are reams of information that can be provided about breast cancer. Entire books are written on the topic. An overall discussion of breast cancer is well beyond the scope of what can be provided in this forum, but we can answer specific qustions. That is why it is important to know what information you are seeking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long at my age is an ultrasound "good" for as in, safe from a new cancer growing?
What are the chances of cancer in the breast under 35?

There is no study that shows how long an ultrasound is good. An ultrasound is used to evaluate lumps that are found on exam, but that is an evaluation of a specific finding and there is no measurement of how long it is good.

If your definition of what is good is meant in the context of screening (rather than the evaluation of a finding on exam) and how long it is good in that setting, there is nothing that has been shown to be good for screening of women in their 30s at any frequency of testing.

The numeric risks are commonly stated by decades, and the risk of getting breast cancer in your 30s is 0.44%. In your 40s, the risk will more than triple, to 1.45%. In your 50s, it is 2.31% and in your 60s it is 3.49%.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so .44 percent of a chance which would include women with high risk factors?
Do you advise on self exams?

That is everybody. As the other expert noted, breast self-examination is no longer recommended. Of course, if s a lump is noticed while bathing/showering or other regular activities, it is appropriate to bring it to the attention of your doctor, but dedicated breast self-examination as a means of breast cancer screening is no longer recommended.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Doing this really increases my anxiety. I am also always worried after reading about inflammatory breast cancer.
I get sore breasts monthly and fear inflammatory breast cancer. It's terrible to fear something so scary

You need to talk with your counselor about what increases your anxiety.