How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Category: Oncology
Satisfied Customers: 44407
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181
Type Your Oncology Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received an ultrasound of my thyroid that reads: The right

Customer Question

I received an ultrasound of my thyroid that reads:
The right lobe of the thyroid measures 5.6x1.5x2.4 cm yielding a volume of 10.4cc and the left lobe measures 5.6x1.5x2.2 cm yielding a volume of 9.5 cc. The thyroid is slightly Inhomogenous in echo texture.
Within the upper to mid portion of the right lobe there is an isoechoic nodule measuring 1.5 x 0.8x1.2 cm. within the lower pole of the right lobe posteriorly a complex cystic nodule is noted measuring 0.9x0.5x0.6 cm. within the mid portion of the right lobe laterally an Ovoid primarily cystic nodule measuring 0.6x0.4x0.3 cm. Within the lower pole of the left lobe a primarily cystic nodule is noted measuring 0.6x0.4x0.5 cm. within the mid portion of the left lobe a primarily cystic nodule measuring 0.6x0.4x0.5 is noted. Several other complex left thyroid nodules are noted.
Lateral to the right lobe of the thyroid a 1.8x0.7x1.2 cm lymph node is noted. Several other benign appearing nodes are lateral to the right lobe of the thyroid.
High resolution scanning of a palpable abnormality along the right base of the scalp was performed. Several tiny ovoid hypoechoic masses are noted. The largest ovoid hypoechoic mass measures 8mm in diameter. These masses appear to be within th subcutaneous tissues. These may represent tiny lymph nodes.
These are the results from my ultrasound. What initially brought me to the doctor was a large bump on the base of my neck under my hair. It's hard and swollen. Feels as if my bone is protruding. Hurts a lot and has been there for three weeks. Was put on antibiotics three weeks ago in case it was an infection but it's still there and hurting. My throat is also hurting but I'm not sick. Given these results , what can possibly be going on. Is this indicative of malignancy? And is the large lymph node found related to my thyroid? I just don't know what's going on and I'm feeling pretty terrible. Doctors are tough to make appointments with duRing holidays. Need help. Thank you !
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Oncology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also wanted to add that they did blood work and checked for a lot. They found my blood sugar at 67 , vitamin d deficient, and thyroid levels normal. That's all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also forgot to add. The ultrasound described the 1.8x0.7x1.2 cm lymph node as "elongated"
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I am not worried about that lymph node

but the thyroid nodule 1.5cm x 0.8 x 1.2 should be biopsied.

it has about a 20% chance of being a thyroid cancer, 80% chance of being benign.

most likkely it is benign.

your symptoms are not related to cancer.

ultrasound of 1.8cm lymph node is most likely reactive lymph node and normal

make sure you get your TSH levels checked.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They checked my tsh levels and they came back normal. Are nodules typically complex cysts? Seems like I have an excessive amount of these, but I'm not sure. They tested my hormone levels because I have been excessively tired and falling asleep at hours not typical for me. Lethargic. But it was fine. what causes these complex cysts. It seems as if my issues came out of no where. And what about this large lump on the back of my neck. The pain is really interfering with my everyday activities. No one has been able to tell me what that's about.Thank u!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

we don't know what causes complex cysts in the thyroid gland.

you should get blood anti thyroid antibody testing to see if these levels are high

sometimes your body produces high anti thyroid antibodies which can attack the thyroid gland and cause it to become inflamed.

you should get an ultrasound of that part of the neck. it could be a cyst or a subaceous cyst or an ingrown hair follicle or something else.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com