Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My mom with sclc is feeling pain here and there with her

Customer Question

Hi again. So my mom with sclc is feeling pain here and there with her chemo. Last week she would wake up with butt pain, to the point she couldn't get out of bed without pain killers to kick in. Dr adjusted her chemo, since then she's having back pain.
Her cycle this time went from 3 weeks on, 1 week off to 2 on possibly 1-2 off. Also dr doesn't think the bump on her neck is anything and it has gone away some. She's also been getting shots too. Is this common to feel that much pain?
Category: Oncology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the pain she's feeling most likely from the chemo or shots, or both?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

What is her diagnosis? What is the name of chemo medications? What is the name of the shot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
April 2014 limited sclc. Now sclc spread to lymph nodes in neck, found out in oct. not sure of chemo but nupregen for shot. They decreased her chemo due to pain.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

I see. The pain is a side effect of Nupregen. Chemo suppresses bone marrow resulting in decrease of white blood cells. Nupregen stimulates bone marrow and makes it produce white blood cells. If her doctor stops using nupregen, the pain will be gone. Her doctor decreased the chemo so that her marrow would not be suppressed a lot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gotcha. But decreasing the chemo will work less towards the cancer?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it would work less.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm is that a bad thing?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Her doctor will monitor the response of the cancer. If the response is not enough, s/he may add the chemo cycles.