Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I am a cancer patient.After my all chemo completed i had

Customer Question

I am a cancer patient.After my all chemo completed i had done two pets scan within 2 month.result was good..all in FDG NON AVID.But my CEA Levenl is going high from 3 to 20 now.please explain me why is the CEA is increasing?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

any sort of inflammation in the body can cause your CEA levels to increase.

CEA is a very non specifici and unreliable blood marker and really should only be used if you have confirmed cancer in your body which is growing

Vectibix is used to treat patients who have metastatic colorectal cancer.

in some patients who have metastatic colorectal cancer, they can have metastatic cancer and the PET scans scans can be negative

so the CEA elevation could be due to very slowly growing cancer in your body or could be due to your treatments which can cause inflammation.

sometimes the best way to know is to continue to watch and repeat the PET scan in 3-6 months and repeat the CEA levels again in 2-3 months.

let me know if you have questions.