Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Kappa is gh and I am wondering how to bring it down and how

Customer Question

Hi I'm Lieke
My kappa is high and I am wondering how to bring it down and how did I get it in the first place?
I am a nutritionist and my diet is excellent.
Thank you for your reply
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Do you mean that the free kappa light chains are elevated?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do
The free Kappa light is 14,4 mg/l
The free Lambda light is 12,3 mg/l
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why did I get this and how can I bring them down?

These levels would be normal in my lab. What is the normal range for the lab that did these tests?

Did you see an Oncologist specifically because of these lab tests or is there another diagnosis for which you are seeing the Oncologist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The range here is 3,3 - 19,4
5,7 - 26,3
I agree they fall within the range but they are elevated and I want to know why and how did this happen.
I saw an oncologist which I have to see every year to check if they have gone up.
I want to bring them down at all cost so they stay at the perfect level., and no chance of them going up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there,I have to go back to work in 1/2 hour.
Thank you for your prompt reply

If they are within the normal range, then they are not abnormally elevated and there is no reason for why it is higher in the normal range now compared to previous tests. All labs with fluctuate within the normal range when they are checked from one doctor visit to the next. And by statistical variation, if you have a general chemistry profile checked that includes about 20 tests, about half of them will be higher than on the previous visit - and that is normal.

Both the kappa and lambda light chains are fragments of antibodies, so there can be a variable formation of antibodies and the fragments of antibodies, and the variable production is due to different exposure to germs over time. But as long as the levels are within the normal range, that would be considered to be normal and is a reflection of healthy functioning of your immune system.

The concern about an abnormal elevation of kappa or lambda light chains would be if there is a disease of the cells that make the antibodies, and the primary disorder that is a concern would be multiple myeloma. Since your levels are not abnormally elevated, there is no concern that multiple myeloma is present. However, if the kappa or lambda levels were abmormally elevated due to multiple myeloma, it would be the treatment of the multiple myeloma that would bring the levels down into the normal range.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?

If there is no further information that would be helpful, then I will close the question for now. If you think of any additional questions later, then please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A what can I do to bring up my white blood cells so it doesn't get any worse,better yet to get the optimum lecels

You never mentioned your white blood count. What is it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, what I mean is how can I bring up my immune system?
I feel it is going down fast as I'm catching colds and have a constant infection in my nose.
My energy levels are not what they should be.

If there is no specific defect in the immune system, then the only recommended intervention are general good health habits, including eating a healthy diet, getting regular exercise, getting plenty of sleep, and controlling stress levels, as much as possible.

Low energy levels could be due to many conditions, and any intervention would require an evaluation to determine the cause of the low energy level.