Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I am being thoroughly checked because of my family story.

Customer Question

I am being thoroughly checked for cancer because of my family history. Just a week ago my sister had a mastectomy. I have a cousin that died from ovarian cancer and a grandmother from breast cancer. In all cases the cancer is aggressive.
My question is: This week I found out via a pelvic ultrasound that I have a cyst on my left ovary. It is 16mm x 15mm x 7mm. Is this a large cyst since an ovary is about the size of an almond? My doctor says to re-evaluate after 6 weeks but shouldn't I have more information than that considering the cancer in the family, on the maternal side?
Thanks,
Elaine
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I am sorry about your sister.

benign ovarian cysts are very very common.

the vast majority of ovarian cysts are benign.

ovarian cancer would show other signs and symptoms more than just a cyst in the ovary.

ovarian cancer would irritate the peritoneum and cause fluid and ascities fluid to be in the pelvis and there would be irregularity of the ovarian cyst and nodules in the pelvis as well

if you continue to worry about cancer, and you are after your menopause, you can always have a hysterectomy to have your uterus and ovaries removed so they will not become cancerous in the future

your family history of cancer doesn't guarantee that you will develop cancer either.

the smart option is to wait on your ovarian cyst and get a repeat ultrasound.

I bet on the repeat ultrasound it will show the same ovarian cyst.

let me know if you have questions.