Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

10/31 On the right side of my head, I feel a painful quarter

Customer Question

10/31 On the right side of my head, I feel a painful quarter sized lump while shampooing my hair. Husband looked at it and said there was no color to it. It is painful to the touch. 11/2 I went to the ER because of right sided chest pain, that increased
with each breath, my right arm went numb and that day, I was mixing up my words. I got diagnosed with "Pleurisy" with one blood draw, urine test, ddimer test and a chest xray. 11/2 I followed up with my PCP. I was then diagnosed with "Costochondritis." I was
concerned about it possibly being a mini stroke but she didn't think so and no additional tests ordered. I asked her about the lump, she felt it and simply said "It's just a lymph node." (Still no color to the lymph node.) 11/3 I notice two more "lymph nodes"
while shampooing. The second one is maybe half an inch below the first one, the size of a fingertip. Painful to touch. Asked husband to look at it. No color to it at all. I then felt further down. Maybe a pointer fingers width down from that is another "lymph
node" this one is now directly on my neck, not behind my hair. It is about an inch away from my right ear and very clearly on the back of my neck. This one however, is NOT painful to touch, nor does it have color to it. Could an ER doctor and PCP be missing
something? I am a 34 year old family with extensive heart history and major cancer history.
Category: Oncology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant to say "I am a 34 year old female, with an extensive family history of heart and cancer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

it is very common to be able to feel 1-2cm squishy mobile lymph nodes in your neck and under your neck.

you have 60-100 lymph nodes in your neck in the cervical and posterior cervical lymph node chain, there normally as part of your body's immune system to filter lymphatic fluid and to help keep you healthy.

I would trust your doctors if they think your lymph nodes are normal.

you can get more testing like an ultrasound of your neck

but I bet this will show normal lymph nodes in your neck.

even if a lymph node doesn't show color to it, it is normal, since it is below the skin.

you could have a painful infected ingrown hair or a subascious cyst on your head which is a painful lump.

let em know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The doctor felt the lump for 2 seconds, didn't examine it and said "Just a lymph node"
The bumps are hard lumps. I have tried to see if they move, but they don't. Not squishy either. The first two are painful. The third is not painful and is on my neck.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

then ask your doctor for an ultrasound of your neck to get a better look at these lumps to see what they are.

if your doctor won't order you an ultrasound, you should find another doctor who will order an ultrasound for you.