Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I am 71 (looking, feeling like 61). No health problems. I

Customer Question

I am 71 (looking, feeling like 61). No health problems. I was on HRT - estradiol (no progesterone ) for 2 years. It was to treat severe osteoporosis and post meno problem.
I had some light spotting, then two months ago I bleed very heavily (filling a menstrual every hour). The bleeding lasted 5 weeks and was stopped by a medication.
I had a endometrial biopsy one week ago. How accurate is the biopsy? Can cancer still be present even if the biopsy is normal? What else should be done if the biopsy is normal?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

a uterine biopsy is the biopsy way to know if you have uterine cancer or not causing your postmenopausal uterine bleeding.

in very rare cases, a uterine biopsy can miss a uterine cancer, but this is very rare.

you should get a pelvic MRI scan if the uterine biopsy is negative.

you might also want to consider having a hysterectomy to remove your uterus if you are continuing to take supplemental estrogen as this can cause increased risks for uterine cancer.

you also want to make sure you get regular mammograms since estrogen hormone replacement can cause increase risk for breast cancer

let me know if you have questions.