Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

80 years old. Recent routine physical revealed " a few

Customer Question

80 years old. Recent routine physical revealed " a few xxxxx cells in blood" . Doctor said they could be because of other factors bit recommended I see an Oncologist which I have scheduled. Unfortunately I have read all I can find and it does not sound
good, especially for an 80 year old. I have not had any symptoms except some sweating last night. I had 1/2 of my pancreas and spleen removed Apr.2014. Non cancerous diagnosis. Knee replacement last Jan. What other factors might cause these cells. Is there
any good news?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

you need to get a copy of your blood testing reports.

I am not sure what you mean by xxx cells in your blood.

I don't know what cells you are talking about.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was a name used by the doctor but I did not catch it.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

I would call up your doctor next week and ask for a copy of your blood test and ask what cells are too frequent in your blood.

CLL or chronic lymphocytic leukemia can cause too much white blood cells in your blood.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had 11.5K WBC count for some time but test 3 months ago was normal. I .understand that when the spleen is removed elevated WBC is normal.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

too many platelets can cause essential thrombocytosis.

too much iron and ferritin and hemoglobin in your blood can be from hemochromatosis.

too much red, white cells and platelets can be polycythemia vera

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. Also have had anemia for some time. Doctors have said " due to operations."
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

let me know when you have more information for me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have given you all the dr. said and was obviously concerned and just seeking information. Have used Just Answer of times over the years and if that is what information you can provide I understand.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

yes, I am still here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Further Info available?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

I need more information about what cells your doctor was concerned about.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Probably those you mention or doctor would not have said anything. They have not said much about anemia for years nor anything about WBC since pancreas and knee replacement surgery.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

call up your doctor and get copies of your blood test to show what is too much in your blood.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an appointment with Oncologist on Tuesday but was sacred to death and thought I'd ask "Just Answer" and see what they could provide.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

yes, I understand.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it useful to proceed if we assume that the cells are from what you mentioned? Are there other factors that could produce the WBC which I assume is low level.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

I mentioned 4 different conditions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sense the most reasonable response is not good news. Thank you for you time and response.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com