Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have MALT lymphoma tumor on my jawline and up beside my

Customer Question

I have MALT lymphoma tumor on my facial jawline and up beside my ear. It is on top or wrapped around carotid artery and facial nerve. Is the Cyberknife a better way to treat. Radiation is the treatment, but wondered if the cyberknife is best or some other radiation therapy?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

There has been some use of Cyberknife in treatment of MALT lymphoma, but this has been for MALT lymphoma in or around the orbit. At this point, radiation therapy would be considered the preferred treatment option for MALT lymphoma affecting the jawline, ear and around the carotid artery.

If you wish to be considered for inclusion in trials of new treatments that have not yet been established, then it would be fine to arrange for an evaluation at a research hospital. But the usual current treatment would be radiation therapy.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I am a radiation oncology doctor.

cyberknife radiation is used to deliver high doses of radiation in a short period of time to a small area, this is called stereotactic radiosurgery or SRS. some people call it SABR or stereotactic ablative radiosurgery.

lymphomas of the neck and next to your ears tend to be very sensitive to radiation therapy and SRS radiation is not needed

you need to see a medical oncologist or radiation oncologist to get a PET/CT scan to check your whole body to see if the lymphoma is anywhere else in your body.

conventional 3D conformal radiation therapy or IMRT intensity modulated radiation therapy over 20 days to 36Gy most likely would work fine for you.

MALT lymphomas also tend to be super radiation sensitive, and could even melt away in less treatments.

let me know if you have questions.