Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have swollen lymph nodes weeks in neck and jaw they are

Customer Question

I have swollen lymph nodes for 3 weeks in neck and jaw they are symmetrical near enough I have a slightly red throat and visible tonsil tissue, does this sound cancerous
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

this doesn't sound cancerous

red throat can be from allergies or acid reflux or post nasal drip irritation of the throat

irritation of the throat can cause swollen lymph nodes in the neck.

these lymph nodes most likely are reactive lymph nodes reacting to inflammation of the throat.

do you have acid reflux or allergies or post nasal drip or runny nose?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get acid reflux around and after the time of ovulation most months and I am unsure on allergies I had sticky mucus in my eustacian tubes following potential hayfever would this cause post nasal drip?
My throat is red on the piece of skin in front of my tonsils and at one side you can see a lot of tonsil the other not so much. I had antibiotics but my gp thought this was viral and so I am now also getting rid of oral thrush from the antibiotics. I suffer each time I take them this is nothing new.
I suffer really badly with health anxiety and so you can imagine my concern with swollen lymph nodes. The same nodes are swollen at each side is this characteristic of cancel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also if I prod and poke the nodes are they likely to stay "up" longer?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

yes, if you poke and prod the nodes, they will stay swollen longer

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please could you respond to my message before the prodding one?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

your lymph nodes don't sound cancerous.

you might have to scroll up and down to see our full chat above

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
26 September 2015 07:58
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

hayfever would cause nasal drip and throat irritation

acid reflux can cause this as well.

no, this is not characteristic of cancer.

you don't have to worry about these lymph nodes

these are normal lymph nodes which are working to keep you healthy.

if your health anxiety is bad, you might need treatment for your anxiety symptoms to help bring down your anxiety symptoms.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com