Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Should I trust the doctor that an MRI is not warranted or

Customer Question

For Dr David: So should I trust the doctor that an MRI is not warranted or continue to press for an MRI? What are the chances something went wrong even though the operative notes said there was good decompression and no damage to nerves? It wouldn't be
ethical for them to deny me a test if they suspect something, right? Is it just something I have ride out for the next year? Aside from the occasional tingling in fingers, pain is only bad when my neck spasms. I take Robaxin for that but it doesn't always
help.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

you should trust your doctor

you trusted them to do surgery on your neck spine.

your symptoms are slowly improving over time

your anxiety can cause muscle tension sometimes could be worsening your muscle spasms and pain as well.

they are not suspecting any issues.

your doctors are ethical.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good. Well I hope that is so. I am waiting for my doctor to make an appointment for me with a neurologist. They don't seem in a hurry to do this and don't think I need an MRI. I hope all is getting better but this is hardly noticeable. I have appts with a GI person to talk about Linzess (it works great sometimes and not so well at other times) and the orthopedist for my shoulder. I do my PT exercises every day so I hope that will help eventually.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

yes, PT will help

it has helped some so far

it will continue to help.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok see if I can get a concise helpful answer please. Symptoms from neck are unbearable today. Gaining much weight probably from the Seroquel for sleep. So I have to cut calories and find something else to help me sleep through the pain. I was 194 and now 204. I'm icing the neck now. What can I do different? Arms and shoulders in pain and hands tingling.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

icing is a good idea

you can also try heating pad to relax your neck muscles which could be tense and pressing on nerves.

ask for a lidocaine patch 5% for your neck pain from your doctors

ask if you can try acupuncture for neck and shoulder pain after surgery

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please explain why an MRI would not be warranted if I am in considerable pain and hands go numb. There must be pressure on a nerve somewhere. If I agreed to pay the cost of the MRI why couldn't I have it? And why can't I get something else for pain if I tell the doctor that gabapentin isn't helping. I intend to try the patches but that would not help my hands which go numb. Is it all a matter of insurance and it would make the doctor look bad? I took the smart pill and that wasn't covered. I have to pay 2100.00 for that. I would gladly dip into my retirement savings if necessary. It seems that the pcp is trusting what the surgeon he referred me to that all is ok and ignoring what I am saying about the pain. It doesn't make sense.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

the pressure on your nerves is from scar tissue or tension of your neck from anxiety.

your doctors have not recommended an MRI scan

you are letting your anxiety drive these questions.

your pain is getting better overall

you still need more time to heal.

I don't know what you mean by smart pill