Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Thank you! I just had a CT/PET scan, and I'm trying to

Customer Question

Thank you! I just had a CT/PET scan, and I'm trying to figure out what things are and where they are. (I was diagnosed with non small cell lung cancer in October 2013). FOR INSTANCE ... where are the precarinal and pretracheal lymph nodes?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

thank you for the question.

precarinal means in front of the carina which is the first braching into two of the trachea airway into the left and right main stem bronchi. there are lymph nodes which live right in front of that carina. these are N2 category lymph nodes.

pretracheal means lymph nodes which live in front of the trachea in the mediastinum. these are also category N2 lymph nodes.

PET scans can look for SUV brightness and activity in these lymph nodes. lung cancer often will spread to these lymph nodes and light up bright on PET scan.