Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have been having pain in my left side deep inside. The

Customer Question

I have been having pain in my left side deep inside. The central pain is in the back and radiates to the front. I have had upper GI, a couple of biopsies done. No results yet. Abdominal CT yesterday that was normal. The pain has been going on for 2 1/2 months. In the past 2 weeks, I now have supraclavicular node that is swollen and getting bigger. I also have swelling in my left breast with very prominent veins. In the last week my I hurt from my left shoulder to the bottom of left side rib cage (main pain still in side). Mammogram on right breast showed calcification and nothing on left breast. Ultra sound showed a small mass in left breast at 10 o'clock. I'm concerned, but ER doctors do not seem to think there is a problem. My quality of life has declined tremendously over the past 2 months. I can't do anything because of the pain.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
have you had abdominal surgery before? this can cause scar tissue around your small bowel which can cause severe left abdominal pain
do you have constipation or diarrhea?
have you had a colonoscopy to check for inflamed colon?
have you had your stools checked for microscopic blood?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not have any surgeries other than Kyphoplasty in 2010 for L1 & T12 compression from an accident. The abdominal scan was normal according to PA at the ER last night. The central pain on the left side in my back on deep inside of the ribs and come around. I can not touch it because my ribs block. As I stated in the previous message, the swollen lymph node above my left collar bone starting swelling two weeks ago and additional swelling now between my collarbone to the nipple of my left breasts. My side hurts when I move and finding a comfortable way to lay is difficult.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you need the results of the upper endoscopy
your pain in the left abdomen below the ribs could be due to a stomach ulcer or gastritis inflammation of your stomach which can come from excessive stomach acid.
you might need stronger stomach acid blockers to help decrease stomach acid to help decrease pain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a hiatis hernia and the doctor did a biopsy of two places the looked red in the pictures which I am still waiting on results. Would this cause the pain in the back left side deep inside the ribs? As long as I don't move, it is manageable. I can not do anything because walking, driving, etc. makes me hurt worse. Also, unless leaned against a soft pillow I have more pressure and pain. I feel like there is something swollen and causes pain when I move. The pain is from my collar bone to the tip of lower rib cage. Last night I noticed the lymph node right above the left collar bone has got bigger.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
an inflamed stomach can cause pain on the left side below the ribs which can radiate to the back
you can try stomach acid blockers like zantac or mylanta or maalox or prilosec and see if this helps your pain.
you could be having acid reflux which can cause pain to go up to your collar bone.
even acid reflux can inflame your esophagus and this can cause your lymph node in the collar bone to get larger
have you tried any over the counter acid blockers yet like I mentioned above?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on Prilosec. I have had acid reflux, especially when I have been going through a lot of stress. This pain is different. The swelling in my left breast is also a concern.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I understand.
severe anxiety can also cause chest pain and soreness in your chest.
it is normal for one breast to be larger than the other breast.
it sounds like you have a lot of anxiety and worry
are you on treatment for excessive anxiety?
it sounds like you are worried about having cancer.
I am a cancer doctor
your symptoms don't point to cancer at this point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The swelling has only happened over the last week and a half. I have been sick for a long time. I am post menopause and started having hot flashes and night sweats again. I have been going through a cat. 5 divorce for 19 months, so yes stress has been there. I have been taking Effexor for 4 years which helps me manage. I have attached a photo of the area. Yes, lymphoma has become one of my concerns. While changing getting ready for bed a week ago, I saw the veins pointed out on photo become very prevalent.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I see if you are worried.
you can ask your doctor to get a neck ultrasound to check those lymph nodes in the neck.
I bet the ultrasound will show no lymphoma and maybe only slightly enlarged reactive lymph nodes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your time. I was such an energetic person and was a 5:30 in the morning gym girl. I have physically have deteriorated. I have so much to do, but just too tired to do it. An ultra sound Friday did show a small mass in my left breast and Tuesday my Primary care doctor is setting up a biopsy. Having gone through the compression fractures in my back, I learned to manage the pain and continue my daily life. Whatever it going on now has consumed me. It is only the past 2 1/2 months that all the symptoms is debilitating and completely interfered with my everyday life.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
menopause can often cause severe fatigue in patients
you can talk to your doctor about the option for hormone replacement therapy to see if that will help with you
I bet your breast biopsy will be negative.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com