Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Dear Dr., I had a CT scan after discovering a lump in my

Customer Question

Dear Dr. David,
I had a CT scan after discovering a lump in my neck, which the ENT I saw thought was an inflamed lymph node. It turned out that it was just one of 19 lumps (I realize that's not the medical term that was used, but I don't recall what was... tumors?) in my neck, none of which, according to the radiologist, were consistent with inflammation and he suspected lymphoma.
So, I had the enlarged lymph node removed in its entirety and it was negative for cancer, tuberculosis, or any other identifiable cause. I'm greatly relieved, of course, that I don't have lymphoma, but should I be concerned about having so many other lumps in my neck?
And if they're there, are they elsewhere throughout my body? But if the one that was tested was benign, do I even need to bother getting answers to those questions?
My ENT pretty much blew it all off, and maybe I should, too. But I just keep wondering if the prudent thing to do would be at least a full body CT scan (if that sort of
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Generally speaking, we do not remove every swollen lymph node when someone has multiple nodes. We typically remove and examine the largest lymph node that is easily reached, which is frequently in the neck.
If your doctor had performed a CT scan and found other lymph nodes in other locations of the body prior to the biopsy, the usual approach would have been a biopsy of the largest lymph node in the neck that could be easily reached. Since this has already been done, there is not much value in obtaining a CT scan at this point.
So, there is no need to pursue any CT scan of other regions of the body.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
than you for requesting me.
I can understand your concern and worry about spread of cancer to lymph nodes.
lymph nodes are part of our body's normal immune system and they help filter lymphatic fluid all throughout our bodies to help fight off infections and keep us healthy.
we have normal lymph nodes all throughout our body
it can be very common for lymph nodes to swell up when helping to fight off infections where ever there are infections in our bodies.
these often are called reactive lymph nodes when lymph nodes swell up temporarily.
you can even seen 19 normal or more normal lymph nodes in the neck area or more on CT scan when there is an infection, but if you give these lymph nodes time to calm down, they eventually will calm down.
I suspect that if you scanned your whole body, you will see other lymph nodes on the scan, but most likely they will be small and the larger ones most likely will be reactive lymph nodes, not worrisome for cancer
cancer at your age of 43 is fortuneately still relatively rare
let me know if you have questions.