Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I discovered a swollen lymph node about an inch above my right

Customer Question

I discovered a swollen lymph node about an inch above my right hip 3 weeks ago. My doctor checked it last week and said it was firm, about 1cm in size, but very movable and there were two smaller ones near it. I have no other enlarged nodes in other areas and blood work was normal in March. She told me to wait a few weeks to see if it goes away but I'm scared it could be cancer. It seems to be larger in the morning and then feels smaller during the day and sometimes it feels puffy around it. Should I be very concerned?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidlymph nodes are part of our body's normal immune systemthey filter lymphatic fluid in our bodies to help keep us healthy.from time to time, they can swell up due to inflammation or if your body is fighting off an infection.1cm size is a normal size for lymph nodes.touching and squeezing the node can often cause it to swell up moreI am not worried about cancer being in this lymph node.you can get more test like a ultrasound of the area or a lymph node biopsy, but I bet those test will show up benign lymph node and no cancer.I would trust your doctor and follow up in a few weeks, I bet that node will be smaller by thenlet me know if you have questions.