Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My mom's mom passed away due to colon cancer when she was in

Customer Question

My mom's mom passed away due to colon cancer when she was in her 60's. My mom, now 81.5 yrs old, has never had a colonoscopy. She was healthily until 5yrs ago and had a bout with pancreatitis and then follicular lymphoma. She was treated for lymphoma and is in remission seeing her oncologist every 3 months for follow-up blood work. Her pet scan 6 months ago showed a few areas of concern, but no symptoms and blood work good so no treatments right now. The only other issues she has is high blood pressure from time to time, reflux, anxiety/depression, all of which are treated with medication. She recently went to cool-rectal doctor for hemmeroids and he suggested a colonoscopy since she has never had one. Is this recommended at her age and stage…just trying to find out if benefits outweigh any risk factors involved.
Category: Oncology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He didn't think the hemmerhoids were very large and he didn't make it sound like he suspected cancer, but given her history thought it was a good idea. He stated that the hemmerohids probably were bothering her, not due to their size, but probably more due to fact that she might have a "lazy" colon due to age and medications and it is pushing against bowel. I, of course, will speak with her oncologist and general practitioner for their opinions as well, but also wanted an outside opinion.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidusually colonoscopy is not recommended in patients over age 75 if they don't have symptoms.there are other ways to look at hemorrhoids without a colonoscopy. she can have an anoscopy to look into the anus and rectum where hemorrhoids are.there are some surgeons who do anoscopy which is easier for her to do instead of a full colonoscopy.let me know if you have questions.