Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I had a blood test in March, 6 months after a simple robotic

Customer Question

i had a blood test in March, 6 months after a simple robotic assisted prostatectomy. My Gran was high at 70.2 . My total protein was low at 6.2 , my phosphorous was low at 3.1 and my co2was high at 47. My surgeon said all normal, but I looked up agranulocytosis and got shook up since two of the symptoms are a pain on the left side below the ribs and night sweating. I have coincidentally had a pain on my left side for about 2 weeks that I attributed to working out and a pulled muscle. I also have had some night sweating. I turned 70 this past March. Any advice?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
granulocytes are one type of white blood cell which your bone marrow makes as your immune system needs them. if you were fighting off an infection, this can cause your granulocytes to go up and down as your immune system works to keep you healthy.
your night sweats could be due to your body fighting off a viral infection or summer being hotter than usual.
it sounds like you are worried about having a lymphoma or another type of cancer
your counts don't point towards a cancer.
you should trust your surgeon.
you do need blood test regularly to make sure your PSA levels stay at zero
any rise of your PSA now after prostatectomy is an indication that your cancer is growing.
what was the gleason score of your prostate cancer and what was your PSA prior to your surgery?