Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My wife has serous carcinoma that has spread to the bones.

Customer Question

My wife has serous carcinoma that has spread to the bones. No soft tissue cancer we know of. She is in great pain. 8 or 9 without morphine based drugs. 4 to 6 with them. It has come to our knowledge that a infusion of Quadramet will relieve her pain.
My questions is: Does the use of the infusion preclude the use or effectiveness of future Chemo treatment later?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
No, not at all.
Infusion of Quadramet will not preclude the effectiveness of future chemotherapy treatment later.
So it can be used safely.
Make sure that you drink at least two glasses of water or more after she is given the injection.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Kind regards
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
I am a cancer doctor
Quadramet can actually cause bone marrow toxicity in about 50% of pateints with drops in blood counts like low white or red cell counts or low platelets which can affect options for future chemotherapy. that is why is really not used too often anymore.
http://myeloma.org/pdfs/Understanding_Quadramet.pdf
if the cancer spread to bone is in one location or two, external beam radiation therapy for palliation of bone pain is much more effective than quadramet and has much less to no toxicity to the bone marrow to affect future chemo options.
ask to see a radiation oncology doctor to talk about options for palliative radiation therapy
let me know if you have questions.