Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

How does the drug work in the colon

Customer Question

How does the drug work in the colon
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
sounds like you have been taking laxatives.
laxatives like senokott and ducolax and miralax pull water from your blood system into your colon to help start to move your bowels when you are very constipated .
if you are dehydrated and not drinking enough water, there will not be enough water in your blood system to go into your colon to help move your bowels
so you have to make sure you drink lots of water and fluids and gadorade or chicken broth or juice to help these medications pull water into your colon so you can fix your constipation.
also using Fleet enemas and Fleet suppositories can help get your stools to start moving from below as well if you are very constipated.
you might need a doctor or nurse to help with finger dis-impaction to help get your stools to start to move
let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr David. I was really wanting to know the efficacy of the Amitiza before I call my Primary physcian for Rx. I have been sick for a while now and on lots of meds a R.N to Boost and I lucked out getting a Onc. (. No disrespect ) I just had my chemo on Friday will Amitiza interfere with that
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I see
Amitiza or lubiprostone activates CIC-2 chloride channels which increase intestinal fluid secretion and motility
what chemo have you been getting.
you have to make sure you are not dehydrated from your chemotherapy.
anti-nausea medications like zofran often will cause constipation.
what chemo are you getting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was on plenty just off cytoxan now on Rituxan. I do have to use Zofran didnotknow how dehydrating it was thanks for that tip.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you been approved to prescribed to dispense Myurvanic. I think I didn't spell that correctly My Dr's can't prescribe yet. I think that will bea God send
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are welcome
Linzess or lanaclotide is another option to help fight constipation.
you can use lactulose as well
I'm not sure what "Myurvanic" is
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
do you have other questions?