Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I need some advice, if possible. A year ago, I felt

Customer Question

Hello. I need some advice, if possible. A year ago, I felt something in my breast and was referred to s breast center. they did an ultrasound only, due to my age 32. it was clear, but he recommened he do both breasts and that I come back every 3 month. I did. And each time, my ultrasounds were clear. A nurse called today, asking if I want to come back in for another check up. My question is, do I need to? Can a new cancer appear in 6 months, even though I did a year of ultrasounds? I feel like this is just a business now. but I don't want to be neglectful.
No women in my tree have had female cancers as of yet.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
at your age currently, you don't need regular ultrasounds
you probably just felt a breast gland or cyst in your breast
some women have lumpy bumpy breasts.
most likely you don't need another check
what you need is to see your regular primary care doctor for annual physicals and evaluations
but I bet your primary care doctor will say your breast feel fine.
let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't feel anything new in my breast. They called me randomly.
is there an amount of time I would be considered "safe" after the year of examination?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are safe from getting a breast cancer until age 40 when you should start to get mammograms once a year
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok. Well, that's good news I guess. I didn't realize my ultrasounds would be enough until then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so essentially my ultrasounds would have seen something growing in my breasts and traditionally breast cancer can grow slowly so, hopefully, I'm safe for a few years? I kind of felt like maybe all of those scans could give me total piece of mind.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
it sounds like you are having excessive anxiety and worry about having breast cancer.
you don't have to stress about this.
you are safe from worry from breast cancer.
if you continue to worry about having breast cancer, you might have to see a therapist to talk about your fears
or start on medications to help decrease your worries.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry. I don't have anxiety. I was just needing some honest opinion from a doctor about the length of time an ultrasound is reliable for. That's all.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
since your prior ultrasounds have showed no breast cancer, you don't need one until age 40
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. Should I still do monthly exams? Or can i refrain from them for a year? They so give me anxiety.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
don't do monthly exams if they give you anxiety.
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alrighty then. You are the kind of doctor everyone wants. Not sure about the truth in that but ok.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last question for ya. Do these ultrasounds see anything small in there? I do know that most breast cancers are slow to grow and takes years for cells to mutate enough time to become a cancer. But, if there was something brewing, an ultrasound would see it or is that mammogram
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, ultrasounds do see small cancers in the breast
you don't have to worry about a breast cancer in your breast.