Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Doctor - I recently received my results 19-9

Customer Question

Hello Doctor - I recently received my results for CA 19-9 test and result is HIGH. The result is 48 U/mL and the reference range is 0-35. I'm very concerned and worried about it. What could be the possible causes for the HIGH result for CA 19-9 test? I
greatly appreciate your time and expert advice. Thanks!
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
CA 19-9 is the most sensitive and specific marker currently used in the diagnosis of pancreatic cancer.
Also, other cancers, such as colorectal, lung, and gallbladder cancers, can also cause elevated levels.
CA 19-9 is elevated primarily in patients with carcinoma of the
gastro-intestinal tract.
One may also have symptoms like-abdominal pain, nausea, weight loss, and jaundice.
There are also non-cancerous conditions such as gallstones, a blockage of the bile duct (jaundice), pancreatitis, cystic fibrosis, and liver disease.
You would further need to have liver function test, ultrasound of full abdomen, Complete blood count and detailed blood work.
Further diagnosis can be achieved after clinical evaluation and tests.
I would recommend that you visit your primary doctor for evaluation and discuss this issue.
Good luck and take care.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.