Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My Wife was just recently diagnosed with Cervical Cancer (39

Customer Question

My Wife was just recently diagnosed with Cervical Cancer (39 years old). She had heavy menstrual bleeding for a year and although she had went to her OBGYN previously she has always had irregular menstrual cycle her life so they kind of of discounted it.
She finally was able to stop bleeding enough to do a full exam and that is when we got the bad news. Her OBGYN has scheduled us for an appointment oncologist/surgeon. We're unsure what questions we should be asking. From the sounds of it the OBGYN may want
to remove her uterus but, we will know more in the next few days. Any suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
ask if her cervical cancer is fixed to the side walls which means the cancer has spread to the parametrium.
if it has not spread to the parametrium, she can do a radical hysterectomy
if the cervical cancer has spread to the parametrium, she will need to undergo radiation and chemotherapy to shrink and cure her cervical cancer.
she will benefit from a pelvic MRI scan and possibly a full body PET/CT scan as well
but usually a good gyn oncology doctor can feel if her cervical cancer has spread to the parametrium or not just by feeling the cervix and seeing if it moves or not.
let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the cancer spreads to the parametrium is that a worse scenario of the two? I was under the assumption that hysterectomy will remove the uterus and cervix thus eliminate the cancer...assuming it has not spread.Is there a situation that you would need to do both?I'm assuming that a pelvic MRI scan and possibly a full body PET/CT will tell us if the cancer has spread?Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
if the cancer has not spread to the parametrial tissues next to the cervix, then a hysterectomy can be done.
if the margins are positive with cancer from the surgery, she will need radiation and chemotherapy afterwards
if there is cervical cancer spread to lymph nodes found in the surgery, she will need radiation and chemotherapy afterwards
PET/CT scan is good, but not as good as taking out the uterus and cervix and lymph nodes to examine under a microscope to look for cancer spread.
let me know if you have other questions.