Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

I received my US report of my RUQ and this is the result is

Customer Question

I received my US report of my RUQ and this is the result is this an indicator of cancer? Or is this a fatty liver? All Blood test are normal except with a slight increase of Glucose. ALT AST all that is within normal limits. I am in a lot of pain in my RUQ :(
: Liver:
Size: Hepatomegaly 18 cm. The Echogenicity: Heterogeneous
echotexture. There is no discrete mass.
Contour: Smooth.
Hepatomegaly with heterogeneity of hepatic parenchyma. Hypoechoic 2.1
x 1.4 cm lesion in left lobe of the liver can represent hemangioma
however when comparison is made to the CT it is not optimally
evaluated as the CT scan was performed without contrast. For optimal
evaluation of this lesion correlation with the MRI of the liver with
hemangioma protocol is advised.

There are no other definite focal lesions seen however this can
represent hepatic parenchymal disease.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 months ago.

Dr. David :

Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

Dr. David :

they saw a 2.1cm x 1.4cm benign hemangioma in your liver.

Dr. David :

this is not a liver cancer.

Dr. David :

this is a benign liver mass which is a benign and usually self involuting swelling or growth of the endothelial cells that line blood vessels in the liver

Dr. David :

your doctors recommended doing a special MRI scan with contrast of the liver to better make sure it is a hemangioma in the liver.

Customer:

Does that cause the liver to swell?

Dr. David :

the liver is also slightly enlarged, which is called hepatomegally. this sometimes can happen.

Dr. David :

no, the hemangioma by itself would not cause the liver to be enlarged.

Customer:

That is where I was confused as to why the liver would also be enlarged..but from what i read 18cm is just mildly enlarged correct?

Dr. David :

for some patients we don't know why they have hepatomegally.

Dr. David :

yes, 18cm is just mild enlargement.

Dr. David :

it can be monitored and watched.

Dr. David :

have you had blood testing to check for hepatitis viral infection.

Dr. David :

this can sometimes cause liver enlargement.

Customer:

Would an enlarged liver be causing pain?

Customer:

I've had all my Hep shots, not sure if that covers everything

Customer:

What is done with a hemangioma on the liver...and one last question..is the lesion, if a hemangioma, do the measurements suggest a small or large

Customer:

I have been on long term pain medicine due to another condition and was questioning whether the meds were the culprit of the enlarged liver.

Dr. David :

that is a medium size hemangioma.

Dr. David :

it can be watched. you don't have to have the hemangioma removed.

Dr. David :

sometimes long term use of pain medications or lots of tylenol in the pain pills might cause enlarged liver.

Dr. David :

enlarged liver usually doesn't cause pain.

Dr. David :

the gall bladder is right there which is often the cause of pain.

Dr. David :

sometimes distal stomach ulcers or duodenal ulcers can cause right upper quadrant pain as well.

Dr. David :

sometimes long term use of pain medications can cause stomach ulcers or duodental ulcers or inflammation. these have to be checked for.

Customer:

So hoping for some answers, this pain the last week and the swelling are just killing me. I thank you for your time and your clarification on things for me. Have a doctors appointment today, hopefully God gives them the direction to send me. Thank you :)

Customer:

Gall bladder scan they said was fine..stupid pain LOL

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.