Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Hi. I posted a question in the general doctors forum but wanted

Hi. I posted a question in the general doctors forum but wanted to get an oncology opinion based on their answer. For the past few days, I have been having some bleeding and mucus with my stools. The first day, I noticed a pea-sized amount of white mucus on the toilet paper. The next day, there was a light pink streak of blood, but no mucus that I could see. The next day, there was clear mucus streaked with blood -- a couple hours later when I had to urinate, there was still some bloody mucus there. This morning, there was some bright red blood with no mucus that I could see. The stools themselves appear normal so far.

The other doctor seemed to think there was a good chance of this being cancer. Is that true? My history is 6 months of loose bowel movements in the morning, which stopped about a month ago, but now they are sometimes harder so I have to strain a little. I thought maybe hemorrhoids, but the other doctor said those don't cause mucus.

Because of my other issues, I had a 3-day FOBT test that came back negative. Normal CBC and liver function tests. I have had bouts of clear mucus for a long time now, but not frequently and with no blood until now. Is this likely to be sinister? I have a sigmoidoscopy scheduled in about a month's time.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

Dr. David :

Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

Dr. David :

I am a cancer doctor

Dr. David :

this is not likely to be colon cancer which is very very very very very rare in your age group.

Dr. David :

much more likely to be from internal hemorrhoids bleeding

Dr. David :

or diverticulosis bleeding

Dr. David :

which can cause some mild blood and mucous with stools.

Dr. David :

your FOBT was negative.

Dr. David :

you should see a doctor and see if you have internal hemorrhoids which can bleed from time to time.

Dr. David :

your symptoms don't sound like they are from colon cancer.

Customer:

Ok. The other doctor said that hemorrhoids would rarely cause bleeding, but from what I've read elsewhere, it says that they can. Which is true?

Customer:

Sorry -- would rarely cause mucus!

Dr. David :

internal hemorrhoids often bleed.

Dr. David :

internal hemorrhoids often cause mucus.

Dr. David :

anything which can inflame the wall of the bowels can cause mucus

Customer:

Ok. I have had some harder stools the past week or so. Sometimes with lumps on them from being so hard. This could potentially be the cause?

Dr. David :

yes, hard stools can rupture internal hemorrhoids and cause bleeding and mucus.

Customer:

Do you think it's ok to wait until Oct. 24 for the sigmoidoscopy, or should I see my doctor before this?

Customer:

Sorry I have to go, but I will respond and pay when I return! Thanks for your response -- you have lessened my anxiety somewhat!

Dr. David :

I think it is fine to wait for the sigmoidocopy.

Dr. David :

when you are done, please leave +++ positive feedback below

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Customer:

Can I add one thing? I've had occasional clear mucus when I have a bowel movement for months if not years. Is this a normal thing? I've never thought much of it... only the added blood got me concerned. Thanks!

Dr. David :

most likely from your constipation.

Dr. David :

mucous is very common with bad constipation.

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.