Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have been pre-diagnosed, through X-Rays and 2 cat scans,

I have been pre-diagnosed, through X-Rays and 2 cat scans, with left lung masses and pneumonia. I was recently hospitalized for treatment og the pneumonia for 4 days. After several different antibiotic treatments, I was released. However, my pneumonia has spread. I am 66yo. I have been assigned 6 different doctors, plus my primary.
I have had 1 biopsy (Bronco) with 2 samples. The preliminary was neg. for cancer. Now another doctor says those were "inconclusive". Therefore another biopsy procedure through my back is necessary. My concern is, it is confirmed I have pneumonia. Common logic warns me, until the pneumonia infection is cleared, you do not puncture the lung, potentially creating more or spreading the existing infection.
Thanks
Vernon Marshall

Dr. David :

Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

Dr. David :

a lot of times lung cancer can look like pneumonia in the lungs.

Dr. David :

and lung cancer can be tough to diagnose sometimes.

Dr. David :

sounds like your doctors are recommending a CT guided biopsy into your lungs.

Dr. David :

if you have been on antibiotics for some time and the lung mass is not going away, then most likely it is not pneumonia but a lung cancer in your lungs.

Dr. David :

often times a lung cancer can cause a pneumonia by blocking off the flow of air in your lungs and causing fluid and consolidation to form behind the lung cancer.

Dr. David :

I have seen this many times.

Dr. David :

if your doctors are recommending a CT guided biopsy, you should get one. these biopsies will not cause pneumonia to spread.

Dr. David :

but lung cancer can spread and so you need to get this diagnosed if there is a lung cancer there

Dr. David :

good luck to you

Dr. David :

let me know if you have questions.

Customer:

I am online mow Dr. David

Dr. David :

did you read what I wrote?

Dr. David :

do you have other questions?

Customer:

I cannot seem to pull up your answer

Customer:

As yet I have not been able to get your answer