Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I was treated for VAIN II a year ago. The following two PAPs

I was treated for VAIN II a year ago. The following two PAPs on the lesion site were normal. This time, the PAP result showed ASCUS. The doctor said that since I have been negative all along for HPV I am not at increased risk for vaginal cancer, and the ASCUS PAP was considered normal. My maternal grandmother died of vaginal cancer, and all the women on my mother's side have a history of abnormal PAPs, including CIN. My mother had cervical cancer that recurred following surgery and subsequently underwent a radical hysterectomy. Does this pose a familial risk even though I am negative for HPV? If so, what is the increased risk?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

Dr. David :

Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

Dr. David :

no, cervical cancer is not genetic or familial.

Dr. David :

cervical cancer comes from environmental effects on the cervix such as HPV virus

Dr. David :

just because your mother had cervical cancer does not mean you will have it.

Dr. David :

keep getting your pap smears and you will catch anything early, but it sounds like you will not get cervical cancer.

Dr. David :

the rate of cervical cancer continues to go down and down with every generation as pap smears are more common

Dr. David :

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I guess I was concerned more because this ASCUS was on the vaginal wall in the same location as my VAIN II. It was not on the cervix. I thought it was strange that I would have abnormalities there even though my cervical PAP has always been normal and HPV negative. Since my grandmother had vaginal cancer, and I was told that vaginal cancer was rare, I simply wanted to make sure I wasn't following in her footsteps. I'm glad to know that this is not genetic as well! I feel strange asking the doctor to perform a vaginal smear in addition to my annual cervical PAP, but I think I will continue to do so simply for my own peace of mind. Thank you for your help.
Dr. David :

I think it is a good idea to continue to do a vaginal smear along with a pap smear as well.

Dr. David :

and continue to do regular gyn exams.

Dr. David :

vaginal cancer is not as common as cervical cancer and less is known about vaginal cancer.

Dr. David :

alot we know about vaginal cancer is taken from research done for patients who have cervical cancer.

Dr. David :

best of luck to you

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

if done, please leave +++ positive feedback below the chat box

Dr. David :

you can always reach me as Dr. David if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.