Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I WAS TREATED FOR B CELL LYMPHOMA ON MY HEAD, FINISHED RCHOP

I WAS TREATED FOR B CELL LYMPHOMA ON MY HEAD, FINISHED RCHOP CHEMO IN APRIL. I SAW MY ONCOLOGIST AND WANTS ME TO DO RITOXIN PROPHALIS TREATMENT WEEKLY FOR 4 WEEKS. IS THIS TREATMENT RECOMMENDED ? HOW OFTEN MUST I HAVE THIS DONE.IT WILL BE IV INFUSION.

Answers are for informational purposes only. If I don't respond right away, be patient. I will get back to you ASAP.

Can you give me more details about the cancer?

What was the procession of treatment?

Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

I am a cancer doctor

sounds like you might have had a rare cutaneous scalp skin B cell lymphoma. this is rather rare.

the benefits of rituxan have been shown in trials when it is given along side chemotherapy like with R-CHOP. it is a safe drug and many cancer doctors want to give it as maintenance therapy IV for long periods of time, however, there is really no data that giving Rituxan after chemotherapy really benefits patients with any sort of lymphoma, much less cutaneous B cell lymphomas.

usually radiation therapy is part of the treatment for skin lymphomas but it doesn't sound like you had any radiation therapy.

did you consult with a radiation oncology doctor?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I SAW A RADIATION ONCOLOGIST ON 2 DIFFERENT OCCASIONS,ONCE WHEN I WAS STILLTGETTING CHEMO AND THEN WHEN I WAS DONE. I WAS TOLD TO SEE THE PLASTIC SURGEON, MY ONCOLOGIST WAS GIVEN THE BIOPSY REPORT AND AFTER CONSULTING WITH HIS ASSOCIATES , THEY FELT I DIDN'T NEED THE RADIATION.

I see.

well, I'm glad that you didn't need the radiation and I hope the skin graft heals in well enough.

I think the 4 weeks of IV Rituxan will most likely not help or hurt too much. it is up to you if you want to do it or not.

there is really no real data to support additional maintanence rituxan after CHOP chemotherapy

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David"

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.