Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have a lump on my head, it feels like hard bone. I notice

I have a lump on my head, it feels like hard bone. I notice it several months ago and it didn't seem to grow or bother me. What is your suggestion?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.

Dr. David :

Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

Dr. David :

if it feels like bone, most likely it is bone, or a bony spur from your skull.

Dr. David :

the CT scan might not even see it very well.

Dr. David :

I would get a skull xray first.

Dr. David :

CT scans slice the brain in axial plains and at the top of the head, the images can get very skewed because of the slop of the skull bone at the top of the head and it can make it tough to see the bone at the top of the head. a skull xray would be a better first step.

Dr. David :

but I don't think you even need to do that . most likely it is a benign bone spur from your skull.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have questions.

Customer:

It's not on the top of my head it is on the side. So your advise is i don't need to do anything. I don't really understand bone spur from the skull

Dr. David :

if the lump is hard, most likely it is an outgrowth of bone from the skull bone called a bone spur.

Dr. David :

this can happen.

Dr. David :

or it could be a very hard sebaceous cyst which is a clogged sweat gland or hair follicle which has been packed with a waxy like substance.

Dr. David :

these are both benign conditions.

Customer:

Now if i don't do anything what will happen? Have you ever see this problem before.

Dr. David :

yes, if you don't do anything, most likely it will stay like that for a long time and not change.

Customer:

Is it effect my heath condition? If this bone spur will cost wear and tear for the other bone.

Dr. David :

no, it will not affect your health condition and will not cause wear and tear on your other bones in your body.

Customer:

I lately get headache on the side that have a lump. I don't know because of stress or the lump.

Dr. David :

keep an eye on those headaches. could be from stress and your current worries from the lump.

Dr. David :

hopefully with time they will get better.

Dr. David :

if your headaches worsen, then definitely go back and see your doctor and get a skull xray or CT scan of the head.

Dr. David :

do you have other questions?

Customer:

Now you suggest to do xray rather than ct scan right/

Dr. David :

yes, xray first.

Dr. David :

and if any question, then CT scan.

Customer:

Thank you for your advise.

Dr. David :

please click accept if done

Dr. David :

and leave + feedback

Dr. David :

you can always reach me as Dr. David in oncology

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.