Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

My 15 year old has three inoperable brain tumors: Oligiodendroglioma.

My 15 year old has three inoperable brain tumors: Oligiodendroglioma. Prelminary path report is stage 2. Final path report due Friday. Large one front left, Large one side right, plus one more at 5mm. The Dr. went to remove the one in front and found that they were infiltrating, hence inoperable.

We are concerned that radiation would cause large deficits in memory, reasoning, and possible paralysis on left side due to their location, size and extent (the tissue that they are in may be destroyed as well with radiation?). Chemo has trouble crossing the blood brain barrier. Biopsy performed at UT Southwestern in Dallas. Need to know the best options. Also considering the Neo-plastin therapy with Burzynski Clinic in Houston. Don't know the best path at this point or what the best treatment is.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 2 years ago.
Hello
Anti-neoplastins at the Burzinski clinic have cured brain tumors..and that is pretty well documented...which is otherwise an incurable tumor in many cases....I believe he has even had clinical trials through phase 3 and phase 4 in progress if I am not mistaken.
So unlikely most alternative cancer centers..he has some documented validity and cures.
You would need to talk to the clinic about cure rates..etc....
This is still not mainstream but I will tell you that early on the FDA tried to shut him down. He won in court mainly from evidence ..from cured patients showing cure after cure.
Many alternative cancer practitioners defer to Burzinsky for brain tumors..period.

However...

In addition, these are slow growing tumors and because of the morbidity of treatment that you have already become knowledgeable about....some practitioners will watch and wait. Until significant symptoms..which point you might be at.

I think this requires a sit down analysis based on final biopsy reports..what to the conventional docs want to do..when...and with what statistical outcome.....if they want a waiting period..I would certainly consider burzinsky now..as you burn no bridges whatsoever.

I have to state that some types of this tumor [ at lot of subtypes] are sensitive to certain chemotherapy agents and so there is treatment and this should also be discussed..along with outcome rates.

It is important to note that with treatment..newer chemotherapy agents...and some standard regimens..median survival can be around 17 to 20 years depending on which study you look at...

So this tumor is responsive to conventional therapy in many cases as well.

It is a tough decision but
a. get the expected outcomes from his oncologists.
b. see if they want to wait or treat now..if large probably now......
c. take the outcome rates they give you and compare to burzinski and talk to burskinski himself..as he will have a lot to input bout his direct experience with this.

Be sure to consider that the conventional date will be far more robust...many clinical trials, and surveys.

Also start looking at current clinical trials ongoing for this type of tumor
www.clinicaltrials.gov.

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites.

DrThomasMd, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Many years in internal medicine. Oncology is one or our sub-speciaties/I help Onc fix side effects
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

I am a radiation oncology cancer doctor

this is a serious childhood and young adult low grade brain tumor and needs to be treated by a multidisciplinary team as such. I would go to MD Anderson before Burzynski Clinic. MD Anderson will have much more experience and many more clinical trial options. but first treatments should not be clinical trails. low grade brain tumors with an oligodendro component are chemotherapy sensitive and chemotherapy can get to these brain tumors. chemo agents such as temodar or avastin can shrink or keep the tumors from growing until your child is older and better able to tolerate radiation therapy. radiation therapy eventually will be needed.

radiation therapy plus chemotherapy will give your son the best change of being cured from this low grade slow growing brain tumor. however, there are risks to radiation. radiation therapy does not destroy brain cells or tissue, but it can cause mutation in DNA in the normal brain neurons and there are risks for higher neurocognitive function loss as a late side effect of radiation therapy. that means that thinking and memory can be slowed as when we all get older, our thinking slows and we have to all write down things more commonly, radiation therapy can also cause that. radiation does not cause alzheimers memory loss.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Thomas mentioned: "Be sure to consider that the conventional date will be far more robust...many clinical trials, and surveys." What does this mean?

Dr. David Preferred MD Anderson over Burzynski. What does Dr. David think of UT Southwestern in Dallas compared to MD Anderson?

Could one do both the chemo and Burzynksi method?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

UT Southwestern in Dallas is also pretty good. I had a medical school friend train there in surgery. their cancer center is not as large as MD Anderson, but still is pretty large for Dallas. Talk to your chemotherapy doctors about how they feel about chemotherapy and Dr. Burzynski's method. you really should consult both conventional and Dr. Burzynski's clinic both before starting therapy because you do not want to regret not exploring all options. and only after consulting conventional pediatric oncology department and Dr. Burzynski and see what both have to offer, then make your decision for treatment after that. that way you know you did not leave any stones unturned. it will be up to your chemotherapy doctors and what Dr. Burzynski recommends as to if you can do both treatments together.
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.