Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

I felt a small hard lump inside my rectum

I felt a small hard lump (smaller than a pea) inside my rectum just beyond my anal sphincter (about 1.5 inches inside) on the wall of my rectum not as far in as my prostate. It seems to be superficial and fairly only slightly raised (enough that you can feel it) but not sac-like. It is not painful, i'm otherwise healthy...it's just concerning because i'm not sure what it could be? Afraid that it could be cancer?

I'm a nurse.  It doesn't feel like a hemorrhoid....could it be a cyst.   What would "cancer" feel like or wouldn't is cancer typically not palpable that low in the colon?

Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.

Dr. David :

Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

Dr. David :

could be an internal hemorroid.

Dr. David :

or must an internal mucosal tag.

Dr. David :

you are 51, so you should have your first colonoscopy

Dr. David :

they can see it when they do a colonoscopy

Dr. David :

cancer would feel hard and would get bigger with time.

Customer:

I haven't slept for two nights worrying about this. Would cancer start so superficially and be so small or is it more likely that it's a cyst?

Customer:

it is probably only 1cm in diameter and feels hard

Customer:

or a tag, as you mentioned....

Customer:

it's the possibility that it's cancer that scares me

Dr. David :

it is more likely a cyst or a skin tag or an internal hemorroid.

Customer:

it is probably only 1.5 inches into the rectum

Dr. David :

you should ask for a colonoscopy or an anoscopy procedure to get it checked by a doctor. they can biopsy the nodule to find out for sure.

Dr. David :

but it doesn't sound like rectal cancer to me.

Dr. David :

rectal cancers often bleed

Dr. David :

and are hard

Dr. David :

and are fixed to the mucosal lining.

Customer:

that's great...there's no bleeding and it's not painful on palpation

Customer:

no change in bowel movements

Customer:

this is slightly raised above the mucosal lining but you can feel it below the lining, it defined when you palpate it...there

Customer:

again it's only the size of a pea and seems isolated to the lining itself...round.

Dr. David :

get a colonoscopy or a sigmoidoscopy or anoscopy procedure by a surgeon or a GI doctor and see if they can biopsy it.

Dr. David :

I bet it will turn out benign.

Dr. David :

best of luck to you

Dr. David :

try not to worry about it

Dr. David :

be careful when you examine yourself

Dr. David :

don't hurt yourself.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions

Dr. David :

if done, please click accept

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.