Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have a lump on my abdomen. Its hard but not painful. Can

I have a lump on my abdomen. It's hard but not painful. Can't tell the size but I'd say smaller than a fist or the size of a fist of a child's hand. I am 40 years old. Never had health problems in the past. Location of lump is on the right below my navel. When I lay on my stomach I can feel it there.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

Dr. David :

is it soft or hard?

Dr. David :

it is hard you said but not painful?

Dr. David :

how long have you had it?

Dr. David :

can you push it back down?

Customer:

it seems hard. not painful. i'd say i've noticed it for a couple months or more... when i move my abdomen region around with my hands I find that it can move a little bit

Customer:

but it stays in one place unless I move it with my hands pushing it...

Customer:

my mom had endometriosis when she was younger, but not sure if that's genetic and not sure what symptoms are for something like that...

Dr. David :

I don't think this is endometriosis. that is when endometrial tissue grows outside of the uterus.

Dr. David :

it sounds more like either a ventral hernia.

Dr. David :

if it was softer, it would be a benign fat mass called a lipoma

Dr. David :

but if it is hard, I think you need to see a doctor about it and maybe get a CT scan of the abdomen and maybe even a biopsy

Customer:

uh oh.

Dr. David :

well, don't think like that. it could all be normal or scar tissue.

Dr. David :

do you have a regular doctor?

Customer:

i haven't been to one in years.

Dr. David :

is it normal skin color?

Customer:

well it's beneath my skin... it's not close to the body, it's more like under my fatty abdomen

Customer:

not close to the surface i mean

Customer:

you don't see a lump when looking at my stomach, i just feel it inside

Customer:

when i lay on my stomach with a full bladder or if i lay on my stomach and lift my feet from the floor, i feel the m ass there

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

well another option would be an ultrasound of the abdomen to take a look inside

Dr. David :

I think it is worth a look.

Customer:

that's what i was kinda thinking...

Dr. David :

it might be nothing.

Customer:

what are the chances it's really serious? probably can't answer that...

Customer:

but it could be something really bad

Customer:

Okay, any other thoughts or advice or insight before we disconnect?

Customer:

hello?

Dr. David :

I think if it is not painful that is a good sign

Dr. David :

if you are not loosing weight, good sign

Dr. David :

if you are able to eat and have normal bowel movements good sign

Dr. David :

any blood in your stool?

Customer:

I'd LOVE to lose weight, but I understand what you're saying.

Customer:

no

Dr. David :

no blood in stool good sign

Customer:

Im generally really healthy...

Dr. David :

so many thing pointing to good sign.

Dr. David :

but should get it checked out just to be safe

Customer:

so maybe ultrasound is the way to go... one last question, do you mind?

Dr. David :

go ahead

Customer:

when u have lumps in your abdomen, do they almost always need to be surgically removed, or can they be healed with medicines? I guess taht's a dumb question if you don't know what it is...

Customer:

iv never had surgery and the idea scares me

Dr. David :

well, it depends on what it is.

Dr. David :

if it is something malignant, then yes it has to be removed.

Dr. David :

but if it is something benign or scar tissue, then it doesn't

Customer:

well i'll cross my fingers.

Customer:

okay I guess that's all. thank you for your help...

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.