Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have started having pain in my breast around the nipple area

I have started having pain in my breast around the nipple area and below. I have a solid mass that has been followed up on, for the last year, they believe it is a fibroadenoma, I have a sonogram every six months to check it. The pain began two days ago. I am at high-risk for breast cancer due to family history and have had previous biopsies, lumpectomies showing atypia excellerated cell growth. I have never had pain with any of the previous masses. I have also noticed a new lump under the nipple, the original lump is above it. I am not due for the next sonogram for 3 months. Should I be concerned? The pain is pretty bad. Could it be something not related to the lumps?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 years ago.

Dr. David :

Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

Dr. David :

nipple pain with a breast lump could be mastitis or an infected cyst. do yo have any warmth or redness of the breast?

Dr. David :

sometimes warm compresses and/or a course of antibiotics might help.

Dr. David :

I think if the nipple tenderness persists longer than a week or two or you have any nipple discharge, you should go in and get that ultrasound sooner.

Dr. David :

sometimes, cycle changes can also cause some nipple sensitivity. are you still having your period?

Customer:

Hello, No, I had a hysto years ago, no more cycles. I have noticed that the breast feels hot, there are also deep veins leading in the area of the first mass. I haven't really noticed any redness though

Customer:

I also notice swelling in the little lumps that are actually on the nipple, not sure if this is the milk ducts or not.

Dr. David :

well sounds like it could be an abscess or mastitis.

Dr. David :

I would talk to your doctor about it, maybe get a course of antibiotics to see if it resolves the problem

Dr. David :

and I would tend to get that breast ultrasound sooner than later.

Customer:

ok thank you very much