Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

is a suddenand unexpected rise in blood sugar (slightly over

Customer Question

is a suddenand unexpected rise in blood sugar (slightly over 300) a sign of pancreatic cancer. My sugar has been diet controlled for 6 yrs. and has just now made this unexplained jump.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  lyeung1 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. Please be patient for a response as I may be in the OR or driving, but will get back to you ASAP.

No, this is not a sign of pancreatic cancer. A sudden rise in your blood sugar is most likely due to a possible infection of either urine or your diabetic medications may no longer be at the correct dosage. You need to see your doctor to have an infection ruled out and to make sure you are on the correct dosage. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
we have just found out that sudden rises ib sugar in adiabetic can in fact be an early sign of pancreatic cancer. I don't feel that the answer was correct or complete.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

I am an oncologist and have treated many pancreatic cancer patients.

Usually pancreatic cancer presents with painless jaundice or pain radiating to the back. A sudden rise in blood glucose levels in a diabetic patient 99.9% of the time will be due to not enough insulin, insulin resistance, or small changes in diet increasing blood glucose, or unusual decrease in activity.

If you are still worried about pancreatic cancer, go see your doctor and get an abdominal CT scan with contrast with thin slices through the pancreas (pancreas protocol) and a CA 19-9 blood level. Also look at your skin and sclera of the eyes to see if there is any yellowing. this is jaundice and occurs when a pancreatic cancer in the head of the pancreas blocks the pancreatic duct.

let me know if you have any questions.
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.