Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

I found a blood clot (about the size of a large grape) a few

I found a blood clot (about the size of a large grape) a few weeks ago in my underwear. I dont have hemmeroids and am 10-15 years post-meapausal. I had blood in stool, lab results, (3) no blood in styool. I had MRI and actual cameras and surgery to see up my female system,as well as lab tests, pap smear and biopsies of sample taken during "exploratory" look-see of my female insides (except fallopian tubes). all completely normal, not even anything suspicious. they syuggested a gastro-intestinal looksee, incl colonoscopy and looksee from the throat down (not just the colon up), to cover the system, incl for stomach unlcers/cancer? I am setting that up. But in the meanwghile, I have continued working out at the gym, and wtliftingh, etc. A few weeks ago, my hips ached during the nite, tyhen my rt knee startted, now my rt knee is swollen and cant bend a lot, and 24/7 pain, worse at nite. a couple days ago, my rt middle finger started hurting and the knuckle is swollen, then overnite last nite the index finger and knuckle swollen and stuiff/hurt. to make matters worse, I have been feverish a lot, not very high (just under 100), but I feel it. and in tyhe past week, every day brings a new brusie somewhere on my rty side, . the first one is about the size of a plum, same shape, and color, but with red dots all over it too. in the middle of the rt side of my back. big bruise--didnt get hit or injure myself there. next nite, small bruise on the knuckle of my rt thumb. again, no injury to it. yesterday, woke up with no new bruise, but by aftyernoon, have a huge (size and shape of large plum) bruise on my rt forearm, didnt hit or injure it . it also has a white spot the dize of a dime in the center, and it is raised 1/2inbch in the center, a peak, from a large hard lump I can feel under the skin, rt where the white mark is. the white mark itself has 2 smaller dots of brighter white, on the top.all these bruises w/o having hurt myself, hit anything, or worked out (cuz my rt hand and rt leg/knee are stiff and painful). I am terrified it is cancer. I just came hom,e from an internist, who took xrays of my knee and hand,told me and showed me there is absolutely nothing wrong with either of them ,no arthritis or anything,all the joints/ bones look fine.
He is sending me for blood and urine work, but for now I am worried and want to know what you think/advise.
thanx. i am w/f/5-6,125 lbs, dob 6/49 (61).
*****ADDITION*****I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT OVERNITE, I ALSO DEVELOPED A BRUISE UNDER MY RT ARM, IN MY ARMPIT. NO INJURIY AT NITE. NEW BRUISE. NOT BIG, BUT SPROUTED FOR NO REASON.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

Dr. David :

well, if you are having problems with easy bruising at age 61, I think you should consult a hematologist and get blood work up to see if we can figure out why are you bruising so easily.

Dr. David :

it could be a problem with your platelets, or blood clotting factors.

Dr. David :

this might not be cancer.

Dr. David :

the easy bleeding could be why you had that clot in your underwear and why your joints are hurting so.

Customer:

WELL WHAT DO YOU THINK? AM I CORRECT TO HAVE GONE TO AN INTERNIST? i DIDNT KNOW WHO TO GO TO, AND HAVE NO PERSONAL DR DOWN HERE, MOVED HERE RECENTLY.WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS? WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Dr. David :

I think the first step to an internist is fine. he has ordered blood work and urine check.

Dr. David :

that is fine.

Dr. David :

but even if those test are normal, if you keep bruising like you are, I think you need to consult with a blood doctor or hematologist.

Dr. David :

your blood work now could show that your platelets are low and that could be why you are bleeding easily and so the question would be why are your platelets low?

Dr. David :

or your platelets could be normal and it could be another reason. usually it is the hematologist who work out these problems.

Customer:

WHAT ARE THE MOST PREVALENT CAUSES OF MY SYMPTOMS.?? DOES THIS SOUND LIKE LYMPHOMA OR HODGSKINS DISEASE? SHOULD I PROCEED WITH THE COLONOSCOPY/GASTROINTENSTINAL EXAM/PROCEDURES? COULD IT BE MORE THAN 1 THING, AS THE SYMPTOMS DONT SEEM RELATED, EXCEPT IN A TIME FRAME.

Dr. David :

well, it doesn't sound to me like lymphoma or hodgkins disease.

Dr. David :

I think easy bleeding could be causing all of these issues and not a cancer.

Dr. David :

I don't think you need to get an upper endoscopy.

Dr. David :

your bowels don't usually bleed unless you have a tumor or bleeding problem

Dr. David :

also, bleeding from the upper bowel gets digested in your small intestine and turns to melena or black tary stool and it doesn't sound like you had that.

Dr. David :

I''ll be back in 15 minutes.

Dr. David :

sorry

Customer:

WHAT I AM MOST CONCERNED ABOUT IS CANCER, AS MY BROTHER DIED AT 55, AND MY MOTHER HAS HAD IT. i HAD CAT SCRATCH FEVER ABOUT 20 YEARS AGO, FEVER FOR MONTHS, LUMPS, ETC, BUT SUCCESSFULLY TREATED WITH IV GENTOMYCIN, DOES THAT "COME BACVK" OR RECUR?? AT FIRST THEY THOUGHT I HAD LYMPHOMA OR HODGHKINS OR AIDS, I KNEW THE LATTER WAS NEAR- IMPOSSIBLE.

Customer:

OK, AND I HAVE TO GO PICK UP MY MOM DFROM ADULT DAYCARE, THANX. I HAVE BEEN UNDER ENORMOUS STRESS FOR MONTHS NOW, SINCE MY OTHER BREOTHER DUMPED MY MOTHER ON ME 24/7, AND ITS ONLY NOW THAT I GOT HER INTO DAYCARE A FEW HOURS A WEEK--THATS WHY WE WERE THINKING THE BLEEDING ULCER. ILL BE GONE FOR 30 MINUTES MYSELF.

Dr. David :

no, cat scratch fever should not come back after 20 years

Dr. David :

usually a bleeding stomach ulcer will cause black tar like stools.

Dr. David :

not a bright red blood clot.

Dr. David :

thanks for the question.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have any more questions.

Dr. David :

please accept if satisfied.

Customer:

THIS WAS A VERY DARK, THICK LUMPY GRAPE-SIZE BLOOD MASS, AND THERE HASNT BEEN ANYTHING BEOFRE OR SINCE THAT

Dr. David :

well, that could have passed through the vaginal canal or through the bowel.

Dr. David :

it could have been blood covered mucous as well that can sometimes pass from the bowel.

Dr. David :

I would worry more about the bruising and make sure you don't have a clotting problem.

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.