Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

I have two occipital lymph nodes that were swollen. One went

I have two occipital lymph nodes that were swollen. One went away, the other got smaller then big again, then small almost gone, and then slightly raised again. I was told this was probably due to sinus. I am nervous that this could mean lymphoma. I am very nervous and would appreciate some help. I am thirty 38, female, have no lymphoma in family, and have no other swollen lymph nodes. Thank you. The occipital lymph nodes are in my head.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 years ago.
lymph nodes that grow and shrink usually are not lymphoma. they tend to be related more with fighting off infections, especially if you have had them before. Lymphoma lymph nodes tends to grow and just keep growing and stay there, also they tend to be associated with weight loss, fevers, and night sweats.

If those lymph nodes don't go away, make sure you get them checked by your doctor.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX is what happened. At the end of May, they both swelled, a week later one went down to normal, then the other stayed swell, then went down and stayed down. Now the other one is up slightly. So how much time should I let pass to get the raised one checked again. I went last week after it went down, and the doctor saw how it went down. So now how much time should I wait. Could sinus do this do these specific lymph nodes. Thank you so much, I am very nervous.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 years ago.
wait 2-3 more weeks. If that one is still swollen, then get it checked out and make sure to tell your doctor exactly the dates they started swelling.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One more comment, from the sound of this do you think it could by lymphoma, or could my sinuses play a role in this. I do find with the weather change, that my sinuses bother me. I promise this will be last time I bother you. Thank you ever so much. I am also in New York, I'm on Long Island.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 years ago.
statistically, most swollen lymph nodes are not lymphoma. The trick is to be able to pick out the lymphomas out of all of the swollen lymph nodes. The best way is the test of time. If the lymph nodes are swollen for more than a month at a time, they need to be checked by a doctor.

Here is a webpage from the NYTimes about swollen lymph nodes