Pea sized nodes under my armpits, should I be concerned?

Customer Question

Hi there
I went to a Private Doctor today as I have been paranoid about lymph nodes I can feel in my groin for a couple of years,there are also a couple of shotty ones around but none that are huge however the Doctor felt two pea size nodes quite close together in my left armpit and one in the right.
She said that she wants to get them ultrasounded just to make sure.
Does this mean that she thinks that I have got some form of malignancy? Why else would she be able to feel armpit lymph nodes as well as several shotty nodes around.
She said the area (armpits) is worth checking them out.
Totally paranoid and scared now.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.

Hi and thank you for your question. She is going to check further to rule out breast cancer... but try not to worry too much, lymph nodes can enlarge for many reasons including inflammation, infection and even due to a pimple in a nearby area.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Camile - she felt my breast tissues and could not find anything there. Would she also be looking to rule out lymphoma? I am not sure how long they have been like that for. She said they are the size of small peas. Its not just in one armpit but in both, is that even more conerning? I dont have any pimples or infections that I am aware of. Did a general blood test last week which came back with normal haemoglobin. If the ultrasound tomorrow reveals something worrying what are the next steps? Thanks
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
The next step would be a biopsy where a small amount of the lymph node is taken and tested. Your Doctor is being cautious, this does not automatically mean you have something terribly wrong. Lymphoma symptoms include chest pain, unexplained weight loss, night sweats, fatigue and lower back pain.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Camille

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have any of those symptoms you listed below. I just read that any armpit nodes could indicate breast cancer. As I can feel two in each armpit then perhaps this is what she is worried about? Or being cautious as you have said.

Would I have any other symptoms for breast cancer?

Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.

Per the Mayo Clinic the following are signs of breast cancer:

Signs and symptoms of breast cancer may include:

• A breast lump or thickening that feels different from the surrounding tissue
  • Bloody discharge from the nipple
  • Change in the size or shape of a breast
  • Changes to the skin over the breast, such as dimpling
  • Inverted nipple
  • Peeling or flaking of the nipple skin
  • Redness or pitting of the skin over your breast, like the skin of an orange

Breast cancer is much more commonly on ONE side, rather than both , so the fact that you have enlarged lymph nodes under both arm pits is less worrisome:-)