Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Oldsmobile Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Have a 2001 Old Alero yesterday it would not start the

Customer Question

Have a 2001 Old Alero yesterday it would not start the engine turns over the battery is good check and checked ok.
Put the key in the door and turn it back and forth 5 times and attempted to start it, it would not.
Put the key in the igniation turn it to the second postion and left it there for 11 minutes turned it back to the off postion
and then back to the on postion to start car, still the same problem car turns over but does not start.
What if anything can do, I have and OBII tester and a strong electrical background outside eveming temp is about 29*F
and to dark and cold to try anything right now.
What could be the problem I've nevr had a starting issue with this car other that changing a battery because it needed it over the years.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be attempting to help you today. When you the key to the start position, what happens?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Excuse me did you not read what I wrote?
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 2 months ago.

If you try to start the engine and them let the key go back to the run position, does the security light flash, stay on or go out?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Neither the security light is not on nor does it go on or off, the only time I see the security light on the cluster panel is when I turn the key to the on [postion with all the other lights engine, oil, etc.

What size engine do you have in your car?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
4 cyl 2.4 L

Do you have a digital volt meter AND a test light?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have several thousand dollars in all kind of mulitmeters and test equipment to name a few Fluke.
Answer yes!

Do you want to do some testing tonight and see what is going on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No! to cold and dark car is on the street.Why can't you just give me a series of steps to go by and I can check them in the morining.

The first step will be to check all the fuses with your test light, ignition switch on and see if you have power to both sides f all the fuses in all the fuse boxes. from there I can tell you what needs to be done. I will be here to help you every step of the way. As for what to do next, that all depends on what the fuses tell us. Each test has a different direction to go in depending on the results of each test.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I already did that Ign switch og fuses ok
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
switck ok

Did you check EVERY fuse on both sides with the test light?

What fuses did not have power on them at all and what fuses only had power on one side?

I have no magic ball that will tell me what is going on with your car. I have to depend on you to do the testing I ask for so I have data to go by to be able to help you fix this problem. If you do not want to do the testing I need you to do then let me know and I will opt out and let another expert try to help you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok sounds like a plan will find someone else.
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Can you hear the fuel pump run with the key in the run position?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Haven't checked that as of now to dark and to cold, but will tommorow and get back with you thanks.

you bet. ill be here

just checking in to see how its going