Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25+ years experience and ASE Certified.
20625509

All of a sudden I lost ability to elecrically unlock all

Customer Question

All of a sudden I lost ability to elecrically unlock all doors on 2000 olds silouette premiere.
Key & mechanical slides will unlock individual doors.
Door lock switch does lock all doors properly.
What
Is fix for this?....
Also how can I remove front seat headrests?...no release button or pin visible
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Give me a second on the headrest but as for the locks, check the fuses for the bcm, they are all in the fuse block, located at the right side of dash, and they are the fuses "ctsy lamp", "pwr lock", "ign 1" and "mall/cluster".

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

As for the head rest, you may need a tool "Head Rest Remover (J42372)' or similar.

1. Raise head restraint to fully raised position. Push head restraint down just far enough to center locking clip in guide between detents on post. Insert Head Rest Remover (J42372) or similar fabricated tools down detent side of both posts.
  2. While holding tools downward, lift head restraint upward to disengage detents from guide. Remove head restraint.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Here is a link from another expert explaining how to use that tool, http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/7f26f11702e04517907a8b246f22cd4c

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

here is the tool for sale on ebay for $44, although if it were me I would try to make the tool. http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENT-MOORE-TOOL-J-42372-HEADREST-REMOVAL-TOOL-/111946758776

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I checked every fuse you mentioned...all ok...power door lock fuse...when removed does prevent doors from locking when pulled...however inserted or not...doors will not UNLOCK by using either door switch....plz call Arny to further discuss this problem...847(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Your answer did not isolate problem...any other suggestions?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

retrieve the codes from the bcm.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Tried to read codes at auto zone....
Could not....no power to OBD2....
LIGHT on panel says check engine soon...
Any more suggestions?....
You can call me....but I don't want call to trrigger completion of service problem...847(###) ###-####
Expert:  Mike S. replied 30 days ago.

First of all you are going to have to find out why you cannot retrieve codes and didn't autozone tell you they don't retrieve bcm codes anyhow? They don't where I live. Only ecm/pcm codes, but the advanceauto here does retrieve codes from the bcm.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 30 days ago.

On this the cigar lighter fuse powers that dlc. Does your cigar lighter work?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 30 days ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
I will check cigar lighter for voltage tomorrow....& also go to advanc auto to see if they can read codes
Expert:  Mike S. replied 30 days ago.

ok

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Did u receive all the codes ?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 28 days ago.

No, do you see them in here?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I have a long report...tried to attatch it here...but pic of report won't attatch...can Give me phone number...email address or fax number to send it to you???
Expert:  Mike S. replied 28 days ago.

What type of file are you trying to send and how large is the file? If it's over 5 MB, I don't think you can send it through here. try posting it online and then give me the link to it?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I don't know how to do that?...I can read it to you...or send it by fax or email...I took a photo of it...so it is not large
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
9 codes & explanation of each...plus info on theft deterent alarm system
Expert:  Mike S. replied 28 days ago.

Just post it here and send me the link, http://imgur.com/

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
465 mb needed to install that :-P...I don't have enough memory to do it that way...
Plz send me an email *****@******.***....I will attach pic & return to u
Expert:  Mike S. replied 27 days ago.

465 MB, that is huge. My email won't allow that. What kind of file is it? Why is it so large? What is the file extension on that? Is this more than 1 file?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
475 mb.is size of your ap...
Not my attachment...
Plz Give me your email or cel phone number so I can send 1 page attachment with codes & explanations
Expert:  Mike S. replied 27 days ago.

I am not allowed to give out my email and I don't use a cellphone.

What app are you talking about?

Why didn't you just post the files online and any of the numerous free websites and give me the link?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 27 days ago.

http://imgur.com/ is not an app, it's just a website that allows you to post images for free.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 27 days ago.

If you accept the phone call I can explain how to post them photos in about 2 minutes.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I don't like the disclaimer that closes the case if i accept a phone call.
The link I gave me...goes to a site that requires it be installed....I don't habe enough memory on my phone to add this ap
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
If u can give me a fax number....I can immediately fax it to u
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Or borrow a vel phone from someone...I already took a pic of code report...we can easily finish this
Expert:  Mike S. replied 27 days ago.

I am not allowed to give you my personal email or cellphone number, if I had one.

Perhaps you should email or send it to someone you know and have them post it on that imgur site, or you could have just read it to me by the time all of this went down.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I will be glad to read it to you if you do not send a case closed notification yet...(###) ###-####
Expert:  Mike S. replied 27 days ago.

Ok, I don't know why you say you get a disclaimer about closing this case once you accept a phone call, cause I continue on with customers all the time after a phone call, and you should not be listing your phone number in this box, the world can see it and you could get harassing calls. Nonetheless, I will send you the phone call offer again. I don't know why you just didn't type it in here.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
You sites wording says I must pay an additional $12....and accept that I will be debited entire fee immediately....
Crazy...but read rules for yourself.If it is too hard for u to accept any of the simple solutions I have outlined above...then plz let me know...and Mark case UNRESOLVED...CUSTOMER DISSATISFIED....PLZ REFUND ALL FEES
Expert:  Mike S. replied 27 days ago.

How many codes can it possibly be, why don't you just list the codes. I don't need the code explanation, I can look them up myself.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I tries listing them here...with explanations & added background info....spent 20 minutes typing it our...then lost all before I could hit send button
Expert:  Mike S. replied 27 days ago.

how many codes are there?

just type in the codes, that is all for now.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Why is it so hard for u to give me a fax number...cel phone number...or email address???....
This is getting extremely frustrating for me
Expert:  Mike S. replied 27 days ago.

Ok, I'll give you an email that I have at google or yahoo. I never use it but it's still open. I just have to go get the email address.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 27 days ago.

I am waiting, where is it?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 27 days ago.

Are you going to send it or not?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I will send later...I'm bz now..tks
Expert:  Mike S. replied 27 days ago.

ok

Expert:  Mike S. replied 26 days ago.

What happened?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I'm exhausted trying....plz keep $5 deposit only.& close case UNRESOLVED.
Do not Bill me for any additional money.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 26 days ago.

Done!