Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I am an ASE Certified Master Technician and auto repair specialist with over 16 years of Oldsmobile experience.
1627031

On my 2003 Olds Silhouette when i drive away in the morning

Customer Question

on my 2003 Olds Silhouette when i drive away in the morning the traction control engages. i back off on the throttle and it stops and i can drive normally. It will some times do it at stops as i am driving.
JA: Are you fixing your Silhouette yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I had the transmission flushed. it felt like the axle might be slipping. then the traction control started engaging.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Headlight turn on replaced the battery about 4 monthes ago.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: this seems to fluctuate with the outside temperature. more frequently in warmer weather. started about a year ago. don't drive it a lot 18000 in almost 4 years. has 90000 miles now.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** this occurs when you first pull away then you either have a wheel speed sensor problem or possibly a yaw rate sensor issue. The only way to know for sure is to install a scan tool to watch these sensor readings when the problem is occurring. Most of the time though it is one of these sensors. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What is a yaw rate sensor?

This is the sensor that tells the computer about the vehicle swaying from side to side or how hard you are braking or accelerating.