Amedee
Amedee, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 1998 Oldsmobile delta 88 3.8 liter engine and I am

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Oldsmobile delta 88 3.8 liter engine and I am having trouble with my Security system The security system is keeping me from starting my car. At first I thought it was my starter and had put 3 starters from AutoZone over the last 6 months This past Thursday I was lucky to get it started to get home from work. Now the SECURITY light come on and stays
on and never goes out. I know when I put the key in the ignition he Security light should go out within a Short time. What I would like to do is to By-Pass the VAST system on my car so I wont have to worry about it anymore I located the ORANGE wire from the key lock under the dash and purchased some Resistors from RadioShack to by-pass the VATS System. What I need is some assistance is selecting the correct resistors to BY-PASS my VATS System. I bought a pack of resistors and I could give you the list of what I have if that will help. Also If you have a better way to bypass the system please let me knowTHANKSFRED
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Does your key have the resistor pellet installed on it? If so, ll you need to do is ohm out that resistor on the key and use that ohm resistor to tap into the wires going to the theft module.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Here is a wiring diagram of this circuit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK , I have worked with you in the past and I have been VERY PLEASED with your Assistance
I have a 1998 Olds delta 88 and my SECURITY LIGHT is ON keeping my car from starting. If you can look at my previous
note that my help?Thanks
FRED
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Hi Fred! Great to hear your back and pleased with my assistant in the past. I have sent some information over and a link to the wiring diagram of your security system that you can use to bypass the ignition lock cylinder.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Does your key have the resistor pellet installed on it? YES I have the PELLET installed on my KEY!!! I have a Fluke 88 meter and I measured 3750 k .Here is the Resistor pack that I bought from radio shack. What I nee is some Assistance in selecting the correct resistors to use to By-Pass my VATS system?THANKS
FREDCARBON FILM RESISTORS100 OHM 1 Kohm 4.7 Kohm 10 Kohm 100 Kohm150 Ohm 330 Ohm 470 Ohm 680 Ohm 15 Kohm 220 Kohm 220Kohm220 Kohm 470 Kohm 1 Mohm180 Om 390 Ohm 2.2 Kohm 56 Kohm 120 Kohm 330 Kohm22 Kohm 270 Kohm5% TOLERANCE
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have already cut the Orange wire which has 2 white wires within it.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.
Try and installing the 330 k ohm resister and see if that dies the trick. It might run an start.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.
Does the trick. Sorry..
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
WILL do, I will let you know what happens!!!
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.
If the car does not start, try adding the 180 ohm resistor in addition to the 330k ohm resistor.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried the 330 k resistor and now the Security light instead on being on solid it is now Flashing but no Start!!!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will do, will try adding a 180 ohm resistor!!
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.
They make variable resistors you can purchase for cheap. You can turn the dial and it will change resistance. We need to get back to the exact ohm reading that yjevtheft modulevis used to seeing from the key.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I added the 180 ohm resistor but the SECURITY light is still flashing!!!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I wonder if Radio Shack sells a variable resistor? Or I may have to buy a Replacement Key Cylinder Lock and a Replacement
key from NAPA.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did add it in series with the other resistor!!!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Maybe adding another 180 ohm Resistor may to the trick?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.
I would try adding that 180 ohm resister. Yes radio shack should sells those variable resistors.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK I will Try adding another 180 ohm resistor!!!
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.
Sounds good
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!