Amedee
Amedee, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 85 Olds 98 regency 3.8 FWD. Came in with intake

Customer Question

I have a 85 Olds 98 regency 3.8 FWD. Came in with intake leaking out the ends. Replaced intake gasket and car would stumble and die. While running, remove the oil fill cap or the pcv valve and it dies. Replaced the intake set again and does same thing.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.
Help and welcome! This problem is caused by engine vacuum in the crankcase. My experience has been that this is caused by a missing it incorrectly installed gasket at the occurs valve or something else inside the intake allowing engine vacuum to enter the crankcase. This is why the engine stalls out when removing the oil cap.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Then you didn't read that I am on the second gasket. I did fix it though. Now you can tell others a bad pcv will cause this condition on this engine. Replaced it and it runs fine now.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

YUP! That will do it! Glad to hear it is fixed!