Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

New water pump not loosing fluid still over heats, no not

Customer Question

new water pump not loosing fluid still over heats
JA: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: no not until put new water pump on
JA: What is the model/year of your Oldsmobile?
Customer: 2002 olds intrigue 3.5
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes have bleed all air out put in new thermostat
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: the water pump put on is counter clock wise rotation,
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Have you checked to make sure that the fans are working?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
they are
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
is the rotation clock wise or counter clockwise on water pump?

What do you mean by the rotation, it should not be an optional thing.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have seen water pump listed as counter clock wise rotation, that made me question if there was a clockwise rotation

I am afraid that I have never heard of an optional rotation for the water pump, I'm sorry. I will say that you should be able to look at the fins on the water pump and determine which way they should spin to pump the water and make sure that it is correct.

How long does it take for the car to overheat when started cold?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
About 20 minutes

Oh, wow, that is quite a while. Will it overheat just sitting at idle or does it have to be driven

Also, is the a/c running when it overheats?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just at a sit still idle no. Driving in town sitting at light yes. Air is not on

That sounds like it may be a clogged radiator or a combustion leak. Have you checked for either of these yet?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No how would you check these?)

A clogged radiator can be checked by measuring the temperature at the top inlet corner and the bottom outlet corner and comparing the two...if the top is much hotter than the bottom (more than 20 degree difference) then the radiator can be assumed to be clogged or restricted in some way. The combustion leak test is most effectively done with combustion leak test fluid. This fluid turns from blue to yellow in the presence of carbon dioxide which is only present in the cooling system in the event of a combustion leak. You should be able to rent this tester at a local parts store but if not it can be purchased for less than $30. I also want to ask about the bleed procedure you performed, how was it done?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When engine cooled down opened overflow cap added violent opened blender valve on radiator watched until the flow was a steady stream. Then closed the valve then tightened cap

Ok, it sounds like you did that correctly, I just wanted to make sure. Have you checked for coolant level since then?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Staying at the same level

Alright, then the next step will be to run the two test I just mentioned and see where we go from there.

Hi, this is Josh checking in on your progress. Have you checked for a clogged radiator or a combustion leak yet?

Hi this is Josh again looking for an update. I haven't heard from you since Tuesday and just want to see where you stand. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Hi, this is Josh again checking in. If you have any questions please let me know. Also, please take a moment to rate my service thus far.