Amedee, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

1997 security lite not on no start, no flash .no, regancy,

Customer Question

1997 security lite not on no start
JA: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?
Customer: no flash .no
JA: What is the model of your '97 Oldsmobile?
Customer: regancy
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes new key swich run for 3 moths check wiris on swich aii good
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i check all i know
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for that information. The most likley cause for this condition is broken wiring between the lock cylinder and theft module. This happens inside the column over time from turning the key on and off. The fix is to replace the ignition lock cylinder (comes with wiring) and that will do the trick!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Is the security light on or flashing on the dash? Can I get the code or codes stored in the computer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
lite is not on
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Ok, does the engine crank over and not start or does it not crank over at all?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no crank
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Have you checked for power down to the starter?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
there is no light for security
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Ok, how much power does the starter get when turning the key to the CRANK position?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i can jump starter it turns over
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Excellent! So your missing power to the starter. The next step is to check the starting circuit. I would go right to the starter relay and check the inputs. Check the powers and grounds going into the relay with the key in the CRANK position. Let me know what you find!

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Hello! Just checking in to see what you have found?