Ryan Schott
Ryan Schott,
Experience:  technician at Demarois Buick Gmc

I'm getting an error code of p0171 (fuel trim lean - bank 1)

Customer Question

I'm getting an error code of p0171 (fuel trim lean - bank 1) and p0440 evap system no flow during purge. What's the most likely cause?
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: It's actually getting really good mpg (25ish) but it sometimes stutters when it starts. It also seems to whine around 40mph, but is good at lower or higher speeds
JA: What is the model/year of your Oldsmobile?
Customer: 2001 silhouette
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am hoping to fix this myself - haven't tried anything yetother, than making sure the gas tank is full and the cap is tight, because I'm not sure where to start
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It doesn't seem to overheat, according to the temp gauge on the dash. There are no weird smells from the engine area and no detectable leaks
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 2 months ago.

your evap purge valve is sticking open this will cause both codes and i guarantee that is your issue.

oh sorry i misread the 440, that would be a broken evap line between the purge valve and tank

the lean code gets caused by sucking air, likely the purge valve pulling fresh air, and the non purge code shows the purge valve cannot put vacuum to the tank, so there is likely a large leak in the system or a split line, follow the line from the purge valve back and look for damage, if you cannot find any it may need to be charged with smoke to find the leak.