K, Wiggins
K, Wiggins, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

VERY specific questions on removing lock cylinder form 2002

Customer Question

VERY specific questions on removing lock cylinder form 2002 Olds Intrigue. PLEASE do not answer if you can not help me do it myself - I do not want to go to a dealer - I need help with 3 remaining issues on removing the ignitopn/lock cylinder.1)I have removed everything and have access to the assembly. I can not get the cable off the back. I need VERY specific help in doing so. I have full access to it (instrument panel removed, 2 huge wire harnesses off bottom) but it will in no way came out of the lock mechanism.2) there is 2 small wires still going into the assembly, black and yellow, in a weird plug looking thing. It is black plastic and looks like it is one of the squeeze and pull type plugs but it is not. it also will not remove and I have been trying for over an hour on 1 and 23)need to know how to get the actual lock sylinder out when I can not move it with the key. All online how to say turn the key to acc and remove cylinder - the key will not turn (this the reason to start this reapir in the first place)Again - PLEASE do not take this question if you can not specifically help me - and that is NT refering me to the autozone help page or a dealer, I just need to know specifically how to remove the cable and wire thing and then how to remove the cylinder once the whole thing is out of the car.Thank you very much for the help, pics of the assembly are attached.
Category: Oldsmobile
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK1 and 2 are answered by 3 it appears - the key must be turned to get those two off - so if the key does not turn what do you do? I read there is a procedure to drill something so I need to know where/how to do that please - then the whole thing should come out.thanks!
Expert:  K, Wiggins replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'll post the info below on drilling out the switch. If I can help further just reply back.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
9. If the ignition switch lock cylinder is seized or will not rotate, perform the following procedure:
1. Protect the immediate work area with suitable material such as clean shop towels or a clean fender cover.
2. Locate the surface for the lock cylinder release button (2) on the plastic ignition switch housing. Center punch a location (1) on the rib
approximately 3/8 inch (9.5 mm) rearward toward the key entry end from the cylinder release button.
3. Carefully drill a pilot hole through the plastic housing with a 1/8 inch drill bit.
4. Carefully drill a larger hole at the pilot location, and slightly into the lock cylinder surface to break the release button retaining spring using a
9/32 inch drill bit.
5. Remove portions of the broken spring from the hole using a small suitable tool.
6. Grasp the ignition switch lock cylinder and remove the cylinder from the switch housing.
7. Remove any plastic flash from the drilling operation, and blow out the ignition switch assembly using compressed air.
8. Follow service manual procedures when cylinder coding is required. Refer to Key and Lock Cylinder Coding in General Information.That is the pertinent part but it doesn't work - I drilled everywhere and the lock is tighter than ever. No spring was evident so I drilled around, deeper etc - cylinder moves but will not release at all neither will the cable. I was able to remove the chrome bezel and tried prying it out - not ggod, the outer bezel came off but the cylinder is truly not coming out as it is now.Hove you actually done this? The instructions weer clear on drilling on teh rib etc, all that matched except no spring - tons of shavings came out and I think I've drilled about 1/2 way through the thing by now.Frustrated and need to get the thing out - I have a new one so saving this one doesn't matter but I can'get it out

I've drilled many GM lock cylinders over the years, if you hit the retaining pin head on with the 9/32 bit it shoudl come out. Wit hthat said sometimes it's hard to get it dead on the pin. You might want to step up to the next size bit. Be advise the new lock might have a little play in it.

I'll open this back up to other experts in case someone has any other advice

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no need - sonce you have done it just tell me where to drill - I am using a 1/4 bit so the hole is very large but there is no pin or spring or anything - just tons of metal shavings from teh huge hole I've bored - I will take a ppic and upload in a minute
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
pic of the mess so far

Unfortunately, you're off center from the looks of the pic.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
meaning what? Where do i drill and what am I looking to drill into?Also is there a way just to break the whole mess and get this thing out? Somehow that cylinder has to turn so I can get the wires and cable off for the new parts to install. ANY help to get the thing out will be so appreciated, 4+ hours on a 30 minute job - SO frustrated...