Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years in the Auto repair business

Today, the "security" light just came on 1998 olds 88LS.

Customer Question

Today, the "security" light just came on for my 1998 olds 88LS. What is this telling me?
JA: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?
Customer: It stays on solid and No - I have no idea how to reset.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: If it's simple enough - yes. As to fixing it, I'm talking to you.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It only has 83000 miles and everything works.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. In most cases if the security light comes on that usually means the theft system is active and this will keep the car from starting. Dose you car start and run normally? If so post back with this information and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The car runs fine. I have started, driven, cut off several times since the light came on and, except for the fact that it seems to run a little rougher, everything seems fine. It starts with first try.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

The common cause for the light to come on and the car still start normally is usually caused by a failing pellet in the ignition key . In order to determine if in fact that is the case you are going to need to do some testing . See these steps in the link below.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
To tell you the truth, I haven't had a chance to work through the problem, I'll have to wait ntil the weekend. Just to see if it was a "bad" pellet on my primary key, I switched to my spare key. The light continued to be on and the car still starts with absolutely no problem. I will check out what you suggested, but I doubt it will show this is the problem. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Run the test steps I sent you when you get a chance and Im here if needed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Let me now and we can work from there if need be.