Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25+ years experience and ASE Certified.
20625509

I shorted the sensor wire across and the low coolant level

Customer Question

i shorted the sensor wire across and the low coolant level sensor went off I replaced the coolant tank and sensor. reattached it and the coolant level message came back on.
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: the sensor for the coolant tank
JA: What is the model/year of your Oldsmobile?
Customer: 2002 olds aurora 4.0 l
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: took the tan off flushed it, replace the tank and sensor, shorted the leads it worked
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Oldsmobile Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

I don't understand, you shorted the low coolant level sensor wires together and the instrument cluster gave you a warning that the coolant level was low? But when you replaced the tank and sensor, the warning still stays on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when I shorted the wires together the warning went out
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Ok, so then you installed a brand new sensor, a tank and the tank isn't low but the instrument cluster is saying the fluid is still low? Must be a bad sensor, right out of the box then. That is the only thing I can think of. how much did it cost?