Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

I have a 1986, Delta 88 Royale that died in the poring rain

Customer Question

I have a 1986, Delta 88 Royale that died in the poring rain and now days later won't start. I tried, Fuel pump relay, Electronic Spark control module, coil pack. It turns over but no poping at all.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 3 months ago.

Hi there.

I would recommend finding out what is missing that's preventing that engine from starting; is it spark, fuel pressure, injector pulse or engine compression? For example, you could try starting fluid. If the engine would start and run for a few seconds, then we would know compression and spark were good so we could focus our attention on fuel pressure and/or injector pulse as the possible culprits. What do you say? Does that sound like something you could do?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
By the way it's a 3.8. I already tried starting fluid and No pop at all. I also changed crank sensor Are you going to talk to me until it's running?

I could indeed talk to you until we get it running, however there are a couple of caveats you'll need to consider: one is that my usual hours are weekdays from 2 to 8 PM (today was an exception); the second caveat is that in order for me to be able to help you, you would have to follow my instructions which will include using tools to find what's missing that's preventing the engine from starting and running. Those tools include a fuel pressure tester (available as a loaner from any major auto parts retailer), a Noid Light to check injector pulse (available for under $20 from that same auto parts retailer) and a spark tester (same store, about the same price). We might come to find that even having good fuel pressure, injector pulse and spark, the timing chain has stretched and there is not enough compression to fire the cylinders

As much as I would like to be the one that helps you solve this puzzle, I'll understand if you'd rather work with some one else. If so, please contact so they can arrange it. If you're OK waiting for me, then I'll talk to you Monday after 2 PM EST.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I also am only available Tue, W, TH. Let's fix this. Today I put starting fluid directly in the intake and still No poping. Let's go down the path of no spark first. Dave

OK. I've attached the diagnostic procedure and corresponding diagram - spark tester, Noid Light and multimeter are needed to perform the diagnosis.

Begin at the NO SPARK AT ALL CYLINDERS procedure and refer to the diagram when needed. Please let me know if you have any difficulties performing any of the tests/checks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hay, picked up a spark tester and tested 3 cyl, 3 good. I assume the other 3 are good too. What next?

I'm confused now... I thought you said there was no spark (that's why I uploaded the procedure for a NO SPARK diagnosis). So, are you now saying there is spark? And if there is, will the engine start on starting fluid?

I've thought about and decided I'm not the right expert for you. I'll opt out and let others try. Please do not reply until another expert responds or the site will cycle this back to me.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No there was no start or pop this morning
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Now you are not available! I intended to Pay you when WE got it running.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Today 7/6, 11:00CDT I checked Fuel pressure, and it came out 28psi. still NO start.