Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years in the Auto repair business
7276279

1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham. The engine is a 3.8L

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Oldsmobile. The Oldsmobile Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham. The engine is a 3.8L . Has been getting about 10 mpg through town for the last 6 years. Recently started stalling during acceleration. Really cutting out like it was not getting enough fuel. Took to local shop. Shop called back and said they were getting a 'too lean' reading for the fuel mix. They replaced oxygen sensor and catalytic converter. Shop called and said they keep getting curve balls thrown at them, now the engine is dumping too much fuel into the intake system causing the catalytic converter to fail. The guys at the shop are great. Excellent mechanics, any help appreciated. ( Timing Chain replaced within the past 6 years )
JA: How many miles on the car? How responsive has your car been lately?
Customer: Hi Pearl,
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Approximately 115,000 miles. Not that many for a 1987 Olds.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Oldsmobile Mechanic should know about your Oldsmobile?
Customer: That's about it,
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Oldsmobile Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem you are having sounds like you may have a failing computer if the system is dumping to much fuel. Can you contact them and find out what the actual fault code and or codes are that they are getting. Post back with these and I will see if I can help you get this resolved.